AutoCAD LT to SolidWorks 2010

azguy54

Is there a way to import dwg files to SolidWorks and be able to work with them. Or at least be able to snap dimensions and such. I have been using AutoCAD 98LT for almost 12yrs now and have an extensive library of desings I have used over the years. I hate to them go to waste.

As a matter of fact I would rather stay with AutoCAD but the main office staff uses SolidWorks 2010 and now say I might as welol send hand drawn sketches as the dwg files are not usable.

Any and all comments greatly appreciated.,

New to the forum so looking forward to learning from the best

I believe there is a DXF/DWD Import Wizard in Solidworks 2010. Your main office staff be able to verify this for you. Tell them to look in the Solidworks Help file under Import/Export.

OMG, are you serious, lol. Heck, if it is that easy. I am sorry for asking such a lame question. Got a feeling I am getting hosed, so to speak, by some folks who don't want to deal with it, ha ha. Thanks a lot Mark. I'll do some checking. Is the import wizard for Solid Works 2007 the same thing? I just watched a tutorial on that a little after I posted this. It would be crazy for the same tool NOT to exist in the 2010 version. But then we have ALL seen some pretty carzy things done. Thanks again. They may make me go to SolidWorks and if they do I am sure I will be asking a LOT of questions as I make the transition. Take care and Happy Holidays.

I don't use Solidworks and I have no way of comparing the Import Wizard between two different versions of the same product. My feeling is the same as yours though. Why would they drop that capability or radically change it? There are too many people/companies that want to or have to exchange files between different pieces of software.