Viewing/Selecting Layers

jwfilion

I was hoping someone could help me with this situation. I am new to AutoCad and am using AutoCad 14. I like to design folding knives. I use a layer for each part, the blade, liners, locking bar, etc,.and use a different color for each. I like to use the rotate function, at the blade pivot point, to rotate the blade to make sure it closes into the handle and not interfere with the other parts. The problem is that it is difficult to select all of the blade lines, with all the other layers involved, because they overlap. The only way I know of is to turn off the layers, except the blade layer, to easily select all of the blade, but with the rotate function still on, I can not get into the layers function to turn the layers back on and view them to judge the movement of the blade. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to view all the parts at the same time, but be able to select only the blade layer? I hope I've explained it clearly. I've been looking for a solution, but to no avail. A response will be greatly appreciated.

try typing "LAYISO" and press enter. then select a line which is on the layer for the blade and press enter again. This should Isolate the Blade layer. Once you have finished type "LAYUNISO" so you can carry on working.

Here's a potential solution: the GROUP command, new in Release 13. You define a group of objects, regardless of layer or other properties. You can select the entire group by picking any of its members (make sure PICKSTYLE = 1). You can then rotate the group. So you could define the parts of the blade as a group and treat them as one object. To work with the objects separately, set PICKSTYLE to 0.

Try combining each blade into a single polyline, or a single block block.

This will allow you to select that object (part of the knife) as an object (in AutoCAD), rather than struggling to select multiple entities.

dJE

try typing "LAYISO" and press enter. then select a line which is on the layer for the blade and press enter again. This should Isolate the Blade layer. Once you have finished type "LAYUNISO" so you can carry on working.

I think LAYISO and LAYUNISO were bonus tools in R14, so it is possible they may be there.

I'm so embarrassed. I figured it out about 10 minutes after I posted the question. I was given this version after doing a few favors for a friend, along with a modicum of instruction. It's all about locking the layers. Thanks kindly for all your responses!