Boolean operations in inventor

hesy87

I am trying to remove a section from a lip. In autocad I would normally use a boolean operation to take away the red box from the black lid. This is not possible in inventor, does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way to perform the same function.

Image4.jpg

Hello,

Yes, you can do this in Inventor. Depending on how you created your two parts:

1) If you have two parts in an assembly you need to select edit for the part you want to modify, then copy object (tick solid) for the part you want to use as a cutter. Select combine, choosing your base part and tool body. Now you have to decide whether to retain the cutting part or delete it. If you choose to delete the cutting part it does not mean that it will disappear from the assembly. Select OK, job done.

2) If you have created two seperate parts in one model file, all you have to do is select combine, select base part and toolbody, pick cut, hit OK, job done. Please note that the cutter part will be asborbed.

Pictures 1 & 2 show the assembly version. In image 1 I have alreay selected the ellipse part to edit and then "copy object." Images 3 & 4 show the boolean cut of the two parts created in one method.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Dave

boolean4.jpg

boolean3.jpg

boolean1.jpg

boolean2.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

This is not possible in inventor, does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way to perform the same function.

You can do it exactly the same way as in AutoCAD. In AutoCAD you have Multi-body solids in a single file.

In Inventor you can have Multi-body solids in a single file. (although in this case you probably don't need and therefore easier - but we'll stick to the AutoCAD hard way equivalent).

In AutoCAD you issue the solidedit-subract command, in Inventor you issue the Combine (I know, confusing) and then Join, CUT or Intersect option.

This sort of stuff is usually covered in your training.

Attach your file(s) here if you can't figure it out.

Hi J.D. - You did a better job of reading this post, I misread it and have now edited my answer accordingly.

Dave

I wouldn't go so far as to say that - without the file it isn't possible to be sure whether the image is from an ipt file or an iam file.

We spend all of this time learning to communicate with geometry - let's communicate with geometry. Where is the file?

You also have boolean functionality when you use 'Derived Component' if you derive an Assembly into a part you get the option to add or subtract the parts from each other.

Derived Compoennt is possibly one of the most underused tools in Inventor