Architect Using Revit, Engineer Using AutoCAD 2011 MEP

mccarmic20

We have been using AutoCAD 2010/2011 as AutoCAD 2000 (we are still using LISP routines set up years ago). However, our firm has decided to make the switch to drawing in 3d. However, we are having some issues trying to set up our projects in MEP. I haven't been able to locate any procedures/help online in pulling in a 3d file (I'm only seeing 2d files).

We used the following instructions for converting the architect's REVIT model into 3d CAD dwg files.

http://216.119.86.79/whitepapers/bim/effective_collaboration_exporting_acis_solids.pdf

But now we're stuck as to continuing the setup in AutoCAD MEP. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Crissy

There are a few quick questions to ask to be able ot fine tune your answer.

1. Are you exporting a 3D view from Revit?

2. Are you exporting as a 3D solid instead of polymesh?

3. Are you looking at the dwg in a 3D view (Isometric) in MEP? You can type vports make sure that setup says 3D and change the view to any Isometric view to see it in 3D.

Hope this helps you out.

Yes, we are exporting from Revit as a 3d solid. I guess my question is where do we go from here. We used to xref in the architect's 2d drawings. Is it still an Xref? Also, how do we go about setting up the drawing so that once the architect makes changes we don't have to manually update layer names, etc.

Yes you can still x-ref in that drawing wether it is a 3D or 2D drawing. It is DWG file which is a native AutoCAD format.

You can setup a background clean-up lisp routine that can purge audit and change properties to what you want. We typically leave the layer names alone but change the color and plotting characteristics of the architects drawings.