Internal Error: GEDIT3 - AutoCAD LT 2002 - Program shuts down!

johnculver

I've been using AutoCADLT 2002 since it came out. I recently converted to Windows 7 and now after several changes in a drawing I get this error message and the program closes! I am able to recover everything up to the last change in the drawing but it is so frustrating! I'm new to this forum and would sure appreciate any tips!

Welcome to the CADTUtor forum johnculver.

Tip #1: Upgrade to a newer version of LT and you'll experience far fewer problems.

Is your version of Win7 32-bit or 64-bit?

I'm pretty sure that LT 2002 is 32-bit.

You mentioned an error message. What was the exact wording?

What were you in the process of doing when you got the error message?

Tip #2: If you are going to continue using this pairing of Win7 and LT 2002 I'd recommend saving your work every 10 minutes until such time as you figure out what's happening.

Any other details you can provide would be helpful. The more info we have the better our chances are of helping you solve the problem.

Thanks for the reply! My version of Win7 is 64-bit. (...is this fatal?... It came with my new Gateway PC. I loaded my program and the problem began. No problem with any other software.) I get an error message on all drawings I work on after only a few minutes or less. It says, "Autocad LT Error Aborting Internal Error: GEDIT3". The program then closes. When I restart the program I re-open the drawing and the program walks me through the recovery process and I'm back to the point just before my last command but I end up constantly restarting my program. I don't see a pattern between anything I'm doing and when it shuts down. I might be editing, drawing, whatever and it randomly gives me the same error message and aborts. Any hope?

What version of Win7 are you using? Professional or Ultimate?

You do realize your program is a bit outdated for the OS you are using right?

When you loaded AutoCAD 2002 on your new system did you also download and install Service Pack 1 by any chance?

Edited by ReMark

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium edition and I did install Service Pack 1. It didn't help. I guess you're right, the OS has passed up the program. I have resisted upgrading to a newer version because of cost ($1395+). As an engineering contractor I depend on AutoCad but don't use it regularly and am the only person in my office who uses it. I'm comfortable with it... Is my only hope updating to a current AutoCad LT?

We are talking the same service pack right? I meant the one for LT 2002. Nowadays they refer to them as Updates.

Since you are mainly using LT for 2D drawings you could switch to one of the freebie CAD programs that will open dwg files and save to that format as well.

If you want to stick to LT then take a look on Amazon. I think the newest version (2011) retails for $850.

Hey, I really appreciate all your tips! I checked into Amazon and you're right, it is a lot less expensive. So I bit the bullet and ordered 2011 LT. I was hoping I could go to my grave and not have to learn anything new... Thanks!

Be careful what you wish for.

Boy are you in for a shock. Welcome to the world of the Ribbon, Tabs, Panels and say goodbye to the Dashboard.

I have a feeling you'll be back with a lot more questions!

You're entirely welcomed.