sketchup 8 review?

clicker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would keep v7 around just to make sure all your custom rubies work. With that and if the new features are good for you, you should be OK. You can download the 8 hour demo and see if the "new" features are worth the price.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but frustration is not. In the early years before Sketchup had the insane “Google” moniker it was a promising and surprisingly useful tool. Crude by today's standards, but worked very well.

Today is another story, it is EXTREMELY unstable and crashes frequently. I have over 10 gigs of memory and it will still freeze up just trying to cut a wall fro a window?? I would not if you haven't already invest in this worthless time wasting program.

If you want a program where you can wait several minutes and I mean minutes not seconds, to change tools in the tool menu then this is the program for you.

Something does sound wrong there. I am not sure what but I would save my file back to v7 and see how it does there. Is this file extremely large?

it is EXTREMELY unstable and crashes frequently. I have over 10 gigs of memory and it will still freeze up just trying to cut a wall fro a window?? I would not if you haven't already invest in this worthless time wasting program.

If you want a program where you can wait several minutes and I mean minutes not seconds, to change tools in the tool menu then this is the program for you.

I don't use Sketchup very much, but we have a guy in the office that does use it quite a bit. He hasn't been experiencing any freezing, crashes or instability and he has been working on some fairly large scenes with only 4GB RAM in his machine. Can you give us a little information about the type of scenes/models you're working on and post some screenshots of your files? Also, what are the full specs on your computer?

from what I've heard, high RAM wont really increase your performance in sketchup. I think capabilities would be more weighted on the processor and the video card. What are your specs in these areas?

Thanks for responding, on most Google forums I am ignored, or told to trade out my $400.00 graphics card for a different one? No one says what one of course.

My System is:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 13 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Computer stand like mine.skp

It took several seconds of beach ball time to open this stock file. I have under other circumstances crashed. Many of the large projects I have to work in preview (line only) so that I can at least move as fast as a turtle.

• 1 year later...

I am new to construction field and it was new to me.. I went through the different threads and found that this is very useful product. Hoping for getting benefited from it in future...

Edited by Cad64
Removed advertising link