How to apply a Bolted Connection on a curve surface.

CAnnondale

Hi Guys,

How to apply a Bolted Connection on a curve surface?

Appreciate any help.

[ATTACH]25117[/ATTACH]

Edited by CAnnondale

How long have you been using Inventor?

Any training?

An iam file without ipt files is completely worthless.

Look at the filesize of an iam file - tiny.

An iam file is simply a record keeping file - a list of hyperlinks to the part files and a record of assembly constraints to put them together.

Hi CAnnondale,

What Mr Mather's is trying to point out to you is that if you want to send an assembly file to somebody, you have to send them the parts (.ipt files) as well as the Assembly (.iam).

The Pack 'n' Go tool is by far the best / quickest way of wrapping up an entire assembly and all of its parts.

Regards

In the end the answer is going to be a Workpoint and a Workplane (perhaps a WorkAxis) in the ipt file. Preferably with a Curve Driven Pattern to make the Bolted Connection placement even easier.

Hi Inventor,

Appreciate your kindness on these matter.

Hi JD,

Sorry for that, I forgot to do Pack&Go before zipping it. Anyway, appreciate your assistance on these matter.

Hi Guys,

I have attached a zip .iam file.

JD,

Would you mined showing me exactly on how to apply a bolted connection on a curve surface. I have indeed applied a plane, point and even an axis but, when I try to invoke the Bolted Connection it does not allow me to select a plane.:(

Thanks in advance.

Framework Testing.zip

Hi CAnnondale,

I Think JD may have given you a bum steer here.

I could be wrong but I think I am correct in saying that the plane the bolted connection requires has to be a planar face of the part and that you cannot select a workplane regardless of whether it is in the part or the assembly.

Something you could try is to create a flat surface (extrude a straight line) in the part file where you have your workplane and the bolted connection should let you pick that rather than a workplane.

Hope this helps

Willie, Inventor will never be able to come up with a viable solution to this, Your holes are not tangential to the curve.

Look at the first image I have attached and you will see that the blue line is at a tangent from the centre of the arc to the hole. The green line is a projection of your hole axis, which is clearly not tangential.

Image no.2 shows manually placed components and the result of this lack of tangency.

Regards,

Dave

prob1.jpg

Prob0.jpg

I looked into the beginning plane/end plane problem and it does appear to be a problem - I was able to get around it by using the circles to create boundary patches - but too much work.

I guess my appoach given this limitation would be to

Use hole features for holes rather than extruded circles. (and address tangent issue)

Place fasteners in this case using Content Center rather than Bolted Connection Generator.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I am kind of tied up with a new project..

Anyway, thank you all for the info/feedback appreciate it. Honestly, Until now I still do not know how to do it correctly/properly. But, I did manage to do it it is just I am not sure if its the right way :-)

If I do find time I will post it here.