Still having trouble with the "Cut Plane"

Cad Monkey 2

Sorry if this should go in the "Vertical" forum.

I'm drawing a house in "Architecture" that has some 3D objects below 4' and some above 4' and they all need to show on the plan, but I can only set the cut plane at one setting.

What's the purpose of the display above and display below settings?...they don't seem to do anything.

Well...Both.

I suppose the 2D plan views take precedence since those will be what the meat of the working drawings will be, but I would like to show the client the 3D views and I'll also generate the building sections and elevations off of the 3D model.

I guess i dont understand the need for the cut plane then... Can you post the drawing or a screenshot, so i can get a better idea of what you want?

I have to leave in a minute and I'm not sure yet how to attach files etc. yet.

My understanding is that the cut plane is always on to generate the 2D plan view from the 3D model. Is there a way to turn it off or set it so that everything shows at all Z elevations?

You *should* be able to set objects "above cut plane" and "below cut Plane" to make them visible.

The difficulty is that there are soo many different places they can get set it can get tricky to get the right "switches flicked."

If you want to figure out how to add an attachment here, or email me on spam.me at djedesign dot co dot uk I can try to have a look for you.

dJE

Quick and dirty just a thought create a vertical "pface" along your cut surface profile that you want extend on the ends past the house and below you may need to be 1mm of the face of the house to work but a "hide" will make this into a solid surface that can not be seen through and can be any flat shape in any plane. use it for 3D roofs

You can set the cut plane by object, which is how I get my 2020 windows to display at a header height of 8', when the cut plane is 3'-6. Select the item you wish to change, and right click, there is an option above the style called "edit object display" make sure you check the check box under display properties in the "plan" area, this will separate the item from the other styles. Next go to the other tab, or equiv. this will let you change the cut plane within there. The only downfall is that the object is now independent of any other style, so if you change the master style, you will need to change these on their own. the way to get around it if you have more than one item to create a separate style, then follow the same as above to change the cut plane by style.

With questions specific to ACA, your best bet is to post within the ADT forums, that way we can see it quickly, it is the first forum I check when I sign into the forum. And it also keeps from getting others that do not know how ACA works from getting confused, thus also confusing you lol.

Thanks Noahma (and everyone else) I got - it's still kind of confusing but I'm getting through it. Definitely a lot more "switches" that can be flipped in ACA 2011 than 2002 non-vertical.

• 1 month later...