AutoCAD 2010 Educational crash when windows focus changes

spiralspirit

I have Autocad 2010 educational running on windows 7 32-bit.

My laptop is an HP Elitebook 8540w with a core i7 processor, 4gb of ram, and an Nvidia quadro 880m.

I get an very easily reproduced crash. Often I set autocad to be half the desktop (by dragging the window to the extreme left hand side of the screen). At the same time I'll open an assignment paper as a PDF on the right hand side (although I can produce this without anything else being open).

If autocad has any sort of dialog box open, like the dimension style editor, when I switch focus from autocad to the other open program the dialog box disappears and autocad hangs. It no longer responds to commands and the only way to close it is to open the taskmanager and kill acad.exe.

This crashes the program EVERY TIME.

I've tried disabling the comcenter, turning off windows 7 aero, disabling my antivirus, but that hasn't helped. Anyone?

AutoCAD 2010 current with last update?

I don't know what the latest version is, but when I click the 'about' button in the help menu it lists the version as:

D.309.0.0, Autocad 2010 - English Version 3

no - I don't need to have ANY window open aside from autocad. With autocad set to be half the screen (by dragging the window to the side), anytime you switch focus to something else (even the start menu) when a dialog box is open, autocad hangs.

I cannot think of a reason why AutoCAD would lose focus given the conditions you describe.

I suppose you could try the Repair option.

Have you tried doing a search on Windows-based programs losing focus?

Are you certain the dialog box isn't hidden behind another window? Next time this happens minimize the open windows to make sure the dialog box isn't hiding.

BTW, you do know you can hold the windows key down and hit the left or right arrow to have the current program snap to half the screen?

Are you certain the dialog box isn't hidden behind another window? Next time this happens minimize the open windows to make sure the dialog box isn't hiding.

BTW, you do know you can hold the windows key down and hit the left or right arrow to have the current program snap to half the screen?

yes, I'm certain. The dialog box is gone and autocad itself won't respond. It's weird because I reproduced this beside a friend of mine's laptop and his doesn't do the same thing. I'm thinking re-install is in order.