Question on Acad MEP Revit 2010

Lt Dan's legs

Hello everyone!

I recently was offered a job doing 3d drafting. I'm have little experience with 3d drawing. How difficult will it be to transition from 2d to 3d? I have 5yrs experience with cad but am worried there maybe a lot more involved than I thought. How much difference is MEP Revit than regular Acad?

Its a brave new world my friend. All the things you are accustomed to doing manually or with the aid of a lisp, pretty well can happen on it's own. Grid lines will magically appear for you, already numbered, in sequence...its a blast to use. there is a pretty good learning curve though. You probably will have a heck of a time figuring it out on your own. I very much recommend getting a book or 2, and downloading the tutorial from the Autodesk site and following it. There is as much difference in Revit and Autocad's 3d as there is in a wrestling match and a waltz. I've been going through the tutorials the last couple of weeks, and it's an awesome bit of programming.

At first, you'll think, "why would anybody want to struggle with this"...after going through the tutorial, i wonder now why anyone still uses 2d. Of course, I thought that when i was doing mechanical drafting back in the old days and Mechanical Desktop came out. I have even used Architectural Desktop some (2007 version) and that's really cool to use, but Revit gots it beat I think.

Are you currently using Revit? or just checking it out?

__edit__

I've used ADT 3.3, 2006 & 2007. But either company wasn't interested in the 3d aspect. Which is ridiculous!

I'm just learning it right now. I still use Autocad for the day to day business. The customers I have right now, one in particular, tend to faint when someone mentions 3d. "OMG...we don't have time for that! I can draw it on the boards faster than that!"

The guy that runs that company is about 250 years old and thinks computers are a complete and total waste of time. Has one on his desk that his company bought new for him years ago. I think he's turned it on twice.

Be that as it may, if you enjoy learning new things and different ways of doing things, you'll enjoy Revit. Get good at it, you can cut your work time in half.....or double your work load.

Well honestly, the reason I accepted the job was because of the amount of money they are willing to pay. He knows I have a very limited knowledge of 3d drafting

The guy that runs that company is about 250 years old and thinks computers are a complete and total waste of time.

This is my job now.