Automated Pipe Routing?

TigWelder

Hi Solidworks gurus,

I've read about SW's automated-goal-based-optimization features with FEA, but haven't found anything similar w/ piping. Does anyone know if Solidworks (or plug-in tool) can create an optimum piping route based on a minimizing pressure-drop goal if one specifies the following?:

1. Inlet and Outlet locations of the pipe in 3D space

2. Boundary walls the pipe cannot hit within this 3D space

3. Pipe diameter

4. minimum bend radius (so any bends do not go below the inner pipe diameter)

You can optimize fluid flow designs if you have the full simulation package. If i remember right you were building a manifold right? I dont think it will do what you are asking or at least ive never seen it used in that way. I think what you are asking is best handled by running a simulation and making changes based on the results. I dont have the full simulation package and ive only had limited access to it so i havent really had a lot of hands on time with it so dont take my answer as final word :)

Hey Shift,

thanks for your quick response. The intake manifold never came to fruition because I realized, through more studying, the oem design was better. I learned a lot and will try a new IM design after I gain more experience with SW and engineering class.

Do you know if SW Flow Simulation does automated optimization of the piping bend(s) between a stationary inlet and outlet if a pressure drop goal (minimization) and 3d space boundaries is mathmatically programmed?

As far as I know, no. But i have had a very limited amount of time to play with it. There are design optimization options but off hand I couldnt tell you what conditions you are allowed to "float". If you have a current SW service contract you can post in the SW forum, but this question may already be answered so a little digging might get you the answer.

https://forum.solidworks.com/community/solidworks_simulation/flow_simulation

I wish i had the time to do some digging for the answer today but I probably wont for a few days. If you do find the answer though please let me know here in this thread causes thats good info :)

To start off, I think water should be used in the calculation becuase H20 is regarded as an incompressible fluid at standard conditions. Perhaps, keep the calculation simple in the beginning like this:

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/index.html

and modify the code for more detailed input options later down the road. My guess, is the pressure drop calculation and results for each piping-route can be listed in an excel file as it goes through each iteration. I'm stuck on how to automate all this together and which algorithm to use that cycles through good alternative piping routes before converging to the one that yields minimum pressure drop.