What software should a beginner buy to get started?

mountain girl

I am still drawing by hand! My work is mainly residential design, new homes and additions, plus occasional small commercial projects. I want to generate clear, simple drawings that are easy to read on the job. I am interested in creating my own detail sheet library. I want to print in 1/4" scale on 24 x 36 sheets, so I willl need a printer that can do that. I have Windows XP. What do I get? Is it possible for a not very computer savvy person to learn on their own,or does this sound like a train wreck?

Thank you.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mountain girl

• Jack_O'neill

• Runnerguy

It sounds like a doable challenge. Think positive.

What is your budget for software?

You do realize that AutoDesk software is on the expensive side right?

Have you looked around any?

What do YOU think you should be using?

How much detail is in your drawings...?, I mean do you think you need something like AutoCAD LT, or is that too much? With something like that, you are starting with a blank piece of paper unless you also obtain (or already have) a standards library. What is your budget?

I'm no expert on applications between AutoCAD LT and an etch-a-sketch, so I'll be watching this thread for my own benefit also...

I hadn't really firmed up a budget. I am willing to invest in what it takes for professional looking drawings. Work is pretty slow right now, so I have the time to learn, but not unlimited income. Is it possible to start with under or around $1000?

Full AutoCAD or any of its vertical products like AutoDesk Architectural cost substantially higher (somewhere in the $3500 range).

Are you married to the idea of using an AutoDesk product? Do you share your drawings with other companies/clients/individuals and they with you?

I'm just starting to look. Other similar threads have been very helpful. I don't know what AutoCAD LT is! I'm also not sure what a standards library is - would that be a detail library? Where you pull out your applicable sections and connections and key them to the drawing? I would rather draw my own details my way and make up a library of my own. I would really rather not spend more than $1000 - do I hear laughing?

Many CAD users share your reluctance to spend a lot of money on CAD software. AutoDesk is like Microsoft when it comes to pricing. The demand, and get, top pricing.

A standard library of details can be very subjective depending on where you practice your trade. I'm with you on creating one's own library of standard details. You might want to check out the website for Wiley's Architectural Graphics Standards. If I'm not mistaken they offer, for a cost, access to standard pre-drawn architectural details. I do not recall what the cost is.

Yikes! Not ready to spend $3500. I'm not married to any ideas, I don't share, it's all custom for the individual job. I have face to face meetings with my structural engineer and he marks the drawings by hand, then I add the details he wants. It's a rural area here, things are pretty simple, but it is important to me to have spiffy looking work. My reputation is for simple drawings that are easy to read and don't require on site adjustments.

Before you go spend lots of money, why not try out one of the free or trial cad programs? See if you even like doing it on a computer. There are several to choose from, like Double Cad XT or Google Sketchup. While similar, they do behave differently than Autocad. If you stay with Autodesk products, Freestyle is in the $100 range, Autocad LT is in the $800 range and it goes on up to all you'd ever want to spend.

IF it turns out that you don't care for it, I'm sure that you could find a freelancer (yes, this is a bit of shameless self-promotion) that would be happy to take your hand drawings and redraw them in cad for you.

I don't really have a choice to like or dislike it - I just need to get with it. I will definitely try the free ones first, thank you. Sounds as if I will probably end up with Autocad LT eventually. What does the LT stand for? Lite?

I don't know as I've ever heard exactly what the "LT" means. It is a very powerful program for 2d work. If you are sure you are going to purchase it at some point, then I'd recommend downloading the trial version from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13706278. That way you can tinker around with the program for 30 days before you commit to buy it. I would also encourage you to check with local community colleges or vocational schools, most of them have courses you can take that will get you up and running quickly. Most offer night classes too. It's much easier to learn if you have a qualified instructor showing you how.

Thank you SO MUCH. I am going to try it. No vo-tech schools here, one small community college that does offer CAD classes if you can get into them. I did take a clsss some years ago, I'm sure it's very different now. I was going to order a how-to book instead, what do you think?

It can be done. I am self-taught and run my own business that relies heavily on AutoCAD drawings to engineers and government agencies for approvals. I've been doing this for about a year and a half, and on my own for the last year. I just had a project in Minnesota go through drawing approvals in 24 hours (wish they were all that fast in their turnaround). AutoCAD LT will handle 2D drawings with no problem but I have to use the full AutoCAD so that I may run "lisp" programs, which are small code add-ons to AutoCAD for specific functions. I have the AutoCAD Bible by Ellen Finkelstein, the fantastic individuals on this website and its partner "Tutorial" site, and the rest of the web as my classroom. Anything can be accomplished, one just has to commit to their goal and hang on tight. One can spend a lifetime learning and it is no exception with AutoCAD. Self-taught may have some perils but lesssons learned the hard way tend to have a longer lasting impact. Your mileage may vary.

What does the LT stand for? Lite?

Lite, Laptop, Limited Technology, Less Troublesome. Take your pick. I don't know if there is a definitive answer to that question. :unsure:

Definitely try before you buy though. Get the free DoubleCAD XT and see how you like it. Then download the Autocad LT trial and see how it compares. And if you do decide to go with Autocad, you will need a book. So don't hesitate on making that investment.

And don't forget about us. We're always here, 24/7, if you have questions. :)

With any cad program you choose, you'll find one big advantage over drawing by hand. The things you use repeatedly, say for instance, a concrete block wall with bricks and insulation, can be drawn and saved in a folder, then copied and pasted or inserted into as many drawings as you wish without the need to redraw it each time (or doing the original "cut and paste"). Likewise, you can save the block, the brick and the insulation in separate drawings and use them individually as well. Once you've built your own custom library, it's as simple as grabbing the stuff and putting it in the new drawing where you need it.

Every program has its advantages, things it doesn't do very well, things you'll really like and things you will think are stupid. Try several, find the one you like and that works best for your situation.

have a look at the image I poted here

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?54832-What-is-the-best-way-to-do-2x4-s-layout

If your works is houses then you need some automation of drafting having the ability to run lisp's will save you hours but also check out Intellicad etc its pretty cheap and supports lisp.