Can't Change Drawing Ciolors Using Layers or Properties - Help :-)!

David_Feynman

I would like to take a drawing and change all the layers (all aspects of the drawing) to one color. If I change all layers to one color only some elements on the screen change colors. Likewise even if I perform "select all" and right click and select properties and change color, some items simply won't change. If I click on the items that won't change they do show that they are set to the color I changed the layer to, yet on the screen will still be blue or yellow etc. I am sure this is just because I don't understand some other aspect of AutoCAD and there is a simple solution but I don't know what it is.

I suspect this is the key part. I have noticed that the elements I cannot change, when I hover over them they say "block". The elements I was successful in changing do not seem to be blocks.

Please spell out how to do it, or I likely won't know how to get there :-), I am still a total beginner at this. I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 in case it matters.

Thank You!

Edited by David_Feynman

what i do is use the command setbylayer first, select the whole drawing, then change the layer colours in layer manager. that usually does the trick.

Holy crap, worked like a charm, you just saved me hours of work. Thanks so much! Previous to reading your post I had found another thread whose instructions I was following and I was trying to change every block on a block by block basis.

blocks and layers are confusing.... you have to know that the entities inside a block have layer properties, which once made into a block, will not change unless edited within the block, i.e. in block editor. moving the block to another layer will not change the entities within it.

the one exception to this is layer 0, which acts as a transparent layer so i generally have all enntities in blocks on layer 0. then when you move the block to another layer, all the entities look like they have been moved to that layer also.

nice one paul - a new command for me!

hope this makes sense.