need help with applying a bitmap to a material slot!!!!

truedud

I am trying to put a bitmap (a front view of a vehicle) into a material slot but i am running into a problem once i actually apply it to the slot....inside of the slot it shows multible views of the vehicle...when i apply it to the object (a plane) it shows the same multiple views....how can i get it to show only one view of the vehicle in the material slot and plane??

I don't have Studio Max loaded on this machine at the moment, I'm in the process of moving to a new computer, but it sounds like it's just an issue of tiling. What version of Max are you using?

If no one else replies, I'll get back to you later today when I can get into the program.

Im in 2010...im bringing in the jpeg from gimp(similar to phototshop) because it needs to be cropped and resized...and this is my first time using gimp...im starting to think maybe there's a setting there i need to change...I have copied and pasted photos(grass..mountains..skies...) to apply to objects in 3ds max before and havent ran into this problem...I will try tiling...thank you

• 6 months later...

to apply a bitmap to a material you need to first

create a new standard material then on the diffuse channel apply a bitmap type , then select your image from where ever it is located. after that you may need to rotate the image along the W coordinate. also you can just drag and drop an image onto the material editor slot.

I think he understood the basics of creating materials:

I have copied and pasted photos(grass..mountains..skies...) to apply to objects in 3ds max before and havent ran into this problem...

The problem had something to do with image tiling, I think:

once i actually apply it to the slot....inside of the slot it shows multible views of the vehicle...when i apply it to the object (a plane) it shows the same multiple views....

I guess he figured it out? It would have been nice to find out what the problem actually was and how he solved it though.

Possibly, but that would have only solved half of the problem. The UVW modifier only affects the display of the material on the model. It would not affect the way the material displays in the material editor. So it could have been a combination of not having a UVW modifier on the model and not having the tiling set correctly in the material editor, which is why I requested screenshots, so I could see what he was doing. But at this point there's no sense speculating. The OP never came back to tell us what happened.