AutoCAD 1.0?

Blam

I've thought along the same lines recently. I was thinking of taking my old CAD computer and loading release 9, 11c2, 14, and 2000 using a multi-boot setup. I may even try to load AutoCAD LT 97 for Windows 3.1 just for laughs.

I don't personally know anyone who has any of the 1.x versions although I wish I did.

I use DOSBox to run old computer games. I thought the same could be possible for AutoCAD 1.0 - ~10. I wonder if the older versions of AutoCAD will be lost to the mists of time. I hope there is a preservationist/archivist at Autodesk who hangs on to the old AutoCAD's somewhere. Maybe something like MAME for AutoCAD?

Somewhere around here is a thread re: AutoCAD itself where forum members posted images of some of the software they had hung on to all these years along with some of the other items that shipped with the software like books, templates, etc. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. It made for great reading.

DOSBox? Never heard of it. I still have all of my DOS 5.0 floppy disks (5 1/4") and User's Guide and a version of PC-DOS 2000 on 3 1/2" floppies. Now all I have to do is reinstall both floppy drives.

• 1 month later...

With all the collector's shows on TV these days showing how valuable things from the past can be it makes sense to hang on to things. I don't know if today's computers will still run DOS 6.2 but I have a copy of it still in the shrink wrap. I also kept a copy of Windows 95 and Window 95 Plus both still in the shrink wrap. AutoCAD 14 is the earliest version I kept since I long ago erased the one floppy disk I had which contained Rel 10. Who knows, perhaps one day you will see me on the Antique Road Show finding out that my still shrink wrapped copy of DOS 6.2 is worth.... $$$

I had a copy of release 9 around here somewhere that was on 5 1/4 floppies. I think I tossed it out during a clutter cutting session. None of my computers had a 5 1/4 drive, and I looked at TigerDirect and they didn't even offer one to buy.

Also had a demo cd of release 13. Took it outside in the bright sunlight, drove a stake through it's heart, sprinkled it with garlic and holy water then set it on fire!