PDFs will not Plot

TheyCallMeJohn

Gents,

When I receive PDFs from some of our clients we are unable to plot them to our printer but it is generally only a few in a batch. (i.e. 7 will print fine 3 won't.)

When I go to plot them here is what happens:

It takes a long time to flatten. (5-15 minutes)

Soon as it finishes flattening I get an error "This document could not be printed."

Followed by "There were no pages selected to print." (Makes no freaking sense....)

I am using Adobe Standard 9 to print.

This happens on all our computer.

I am printing to a W7140

Any advice would be appreciated or suggestions on alternate printing programs for PDFs.

Let me know if you need more infor

PS: I have searched the Archives and could not find a solutions but if I missed it a link would be great.

Since it happens no matter which computer you try to print from I would suspect it is a printer driver issue. What does your IT department have to say about it?

Gents,

When I receive PDFs from some of our clients we are unable to plot them to our printer but it is generally only a few in a batch. (i.e. 7 will print fine 3 won't.)

When I go to plot them here is what happens:

It takes a long time to flatten. (5-15 minutes)

Soon as it finishes flattening I get an error "This document could not be printed."

Followed by "There were no pages selected to print." (Makes no freaking sense....)

I am using Adobe Standard 9 to print.

This happens on all our computer.

I am printing to a W7140

Any advice would be appreciated or suggestions on alternate printing programs for PDFs.

Let me know if you need more infor

PS: I have searched the Archives and could not find a solutions but if I missed it a link would be great.

If you are recieving PDF files from a client, why would there be any need to "flatten"? PDF files are by thier very nature 2 dimensional documents.

If you are recieving PDF files from a client' date=' why would there be any need to "flatten"? PDF files are by thier very nature 2 dimensional documents.[/quote']

Not anymore. Google 3D PDFs.

Not anymore. Google 3D PDFs.

Well I'll be hanged! Sounds like then the OP's printer is like me, and needs to catch up on what's going on!

Note to all readers: Working for giant dinosaur corporations that want to do everything the way they did 25 years ago can be detrimental to keeping up with technology. Look up and beyond the cubicle occasionally!

3d animations in pdfs even...wow. Gotta get out of the cave once in a while.

3D PDFs? Great. There are too many users of 2D PDFs that don't understand how to print them and now they have to deal with 3D PDFs? God help us all.

TheyCallMeJohn,

It could be that your printer doesn't have enough RAM to handle the file. I've run across this problem multiple times. I've actually had to bring the PDFs in Photoshop and convert to bitmap in order for them to print. Do you have this software? If yes, then I can help you through the BMP conversion.

Good luck.

Remark: IT tried installing the latest printer drivers (both PCL and PC) but it was not help and that you are correct, the client is printing them to PDFs.

Jack_O'Neill: Adobe said it was "Flattening", I think its because the drawing appears to be printed with layers but under the layer tab there was nothing listed. **Shrugs** (Also is your name a reference to Stargate)

I actually found away to print them. I downloaded the 30 day trial of Bluebeam and they printed in couple minutes. I am just not sure what I am going to do when the trial expires as the boss isn't down with the price tag. What does everyone else use to print PDFs?

BTW: What does OP mean?

TheyCallMeJohn,

It could be that your printer doesn't have enough RAM to handle the file. I've run across this problem multiple times. I've actually had to bring the PDFs in Photoshop and convert to bitmap in order for them to print. Do you have this software? If yes, then I can help you through the BMP conversion.

Good luck.

OP = Original Poster, Old Person :D

TheyCallMeJohn,

Did you read what I wrote?

bbankston: Thank you for the suggestion. As for the RAM for the printer, I was able to print it fine to the same printer using Bluebeam (I actually printed several large pdfs at once) so I think it may be something to do with Adobe Standard or standard setting in Adobe. But I may try you bitmap conversion another time if there is way to do it without Photoshop since I don't have access to that program.

And thank you for the clarification regarding op, lol.

J