need project help for penn foster oleson village

Firligic

im stuck with the coordinates. i have lines and points all over the place few points near the origin then a point alll the way acroos the screen.

these were the directions. the benchmark is located NE corner of the intersection of SW washingtion st and SW Oleson road. the benchmark coordinates is 1421334.93,783207.62

then first point of survey (poiny of beginning) is 113.66 ft from the benchmark bearing N5degrees 27' 23"W

so this is what i did from the above coordinates is 1421334.93,783207.62 i type LINE > @113.66

then try are other point continuing that line 542.16

I have access to this drawing and can take a look at it for you later. Unfortunately I am not at my CAD computer.

What are your settings for unit type and angle and what level of precision do you have them set to?

If you have dynamic input turned on, (and assuming you haven't changed it) the default format is "relative polar coordinates". You don't have to add the

--edit--

That "greater than" symbol (the one I said was backwards) shouldn't be there at all. Note to self: make sure caffiene has kicked in before typing stuff others will read :)

Edited by Jack_O'neill

my instruction to told to set it my UNITS to decimal to 0.00 and my angle is the surveyor thingy. but i up the whole night trying to figure things out and i think i got it. can i upload the picture so you guys can check if im on the right track. i dont want to find out i messed up and have to redo it

also, if u look at my screenies at the intersection there are lines crossing each other how do i delete the unwanted lines. the only way is to use BREAK command??

and i have another question. it ask me to create a TREE block. so what i did was make a circle, used the create block, named it as TREE, and used the pick point for the center of the circle, is that correct?

thank you so much guys. sry for asking so many questions, i want to get this right. and i really want to understand it.

screenie3.jpg.

screenie2.jpg

screenie1.jpg

Have you tried the TRIM command instead of BREAK?

It sounds like you made your tree block correctly. Picking the center as the "base point" is a good move. Some users pick off the object or they use 0,0 as the base point which will lead to some strange results when inserting the block later on.

hi guys new question im at the part where i put more detail to the roads and sidewalks. it ask me to create a 6-feet wide roadway. 1-foot buffer between the right of way and beginning of the sidewalk, and 3f-oot parking strip between the sidewalk and curb. im just a lil bit confused on how to draw it. lets say the above screenie is my base line of the roadway. am i suppose to make the buffer inward or outward from it.? not sure if im explaining my question right.

I doubt very much the assignment asked you to create a 6 foot wide roadway. Think on it for a moment. How do you expect two cars going in opposite directions to fit on a 6 foot wide road?

Isn't this what the text reads?

"All the roadways in the subdivision have sidewalks that are 6 feet wide. there's a 1-foot buffer between the right-of-way and the beginning of the sidewalk, and there's a 3-foot parking strip between the sidewalk and the curb."

Edited by ReMark

This is how I think it should be drawn. HOWEVER...I'm not a mind reader so I cannot say that whoever came up with this assignment at Penn Foster didn't have something different in mind. I can only relate to you how we did it in the city of New Britain, CT when I worked in the municipal engineering department for eight years both in the field as a member of a survey crew and in the office as a draftsman.

Typically, in our city, right-of-ways are 50 feet wide. The actual paved surface of the road is 30 feet wide. 10 feet on either side of the ROW is reserved for the sidewalk, a grass strip, and the curb. Standard practice is to located the back of the walk 1 foot off of the Right-of-Way line (also called the Streetline). The streetline doubles as the front property line.

Olsen Village ROW.jpg

I doubt very much the assignment asked you to create a 6 foot wide roadway. Think on it for a moment. How do you expect two cars going in opposite directions to fit on a 6 foot wide road?

Isn't this what the text reads?

"All the roadways in the subdivision have sidewalks that are 6 feet wide. there's a 1-foot buffer between the right-of-way and the beginning of the sidewalk, and there's a 3-foot parking strip between the sidewalk and the curb."

Unless its a road for bicycles only, there aren't many vehicles that would fit on a 6 foot wide road anyway. My pick up truck is 80" wide. Two motorcycles couldn't pass in a 6 foot lane.

I have a question of my own about this drawing though. I've never taken this course, and have never done any street layouts, but I don't understand what this "3 foot parking strip" is. If its between the sidewalk and the curb as the text says, you'd have to jump the curb to park.

This is how it's done in my home town. Each municipality has its own rules and exceptions to those rules too. In downtown areas it is not uncommon to see the curb and sidewalk abutting each other with no grassy strip between them. Sidewalk widths may vary substantially too. In other parts of town, where there are no sidewalks, the grass will go right up to the edge of pavement but the roadway is still no more than 30 feet wide. The 10 foot buffer on either side allows for the future installation of sidewalks. Your mileage may vary.

Street Line to curb plan view.jpg

Drawing is 2007 file format.

Street Line to curb plan view.dwg

I think the use of the term "parking strip" is misleading too. Only a motorcylce or a bicycle could park in a strip that was 3 feet wide.

Can't park a motorcycle in a 3 foot strip either. Most places require motorcycles to be parked at the curb to be perpendicular to the road with the back wheel towards the curb. This makes it more visible to approaching traffic (or easier to hit, depending on the inebriation level of the driver). Mine is a dang site longer than three feet (just over 8 feet, in fact). When parking in a parallel parking space, I usually angle it in so that it doesn't stick out past the outer edge of the parking space.

the instructions here is kind of confusing, so tomm i will call the school for a clear explanation

I think what is confusing is the terminology. Specifically the words "parking strip". Show me a 3 foot wide parking strip and I'll show you a roadway with no vehicles and just bicycles.

I think what is confusing is the terminology. Specifically the words "parking strip". Show me a 3 foot wide parking strip and I'll show you a roadway with no vehicles and just bicycles.

lolol yea i dont like the terminology they use too. well i just sent me copy of my current drawing to the school for them to check if its right or wrong.

thakn you for all your help. This is my first mini project, with all these mistakes im doing im learning autocad much better

I have access to this drawing and can take a look at it for you later. Unfortunately I am not at my CAD computer.

What are your settings for unit type and angle and what level of precision do you have them set to?

Hey Remark, so im like 75% done with the drawing i think, u said u have a copy of this drawing, does it look like this?

screenie5.jpg

thank you

Yes, I have a copy of the drawing but it's on my CAD computer at work. I will not be able to compare the two drawings until Wednesday morning. The drawing was not done by me but by another forum member. I think you might even be able to see a partial image of it by doing a search of this website using the words "Penn Foster". There have been a number of posts about this assignment as well as others over the past couple of years. Check out some of the previous threads as listed below. There should be at least four listed.

Edited by ReMark

yea i just checked them out and a few on google.com it look pretty similar to mine, ty. now i need to do the labeling and im done. and i also found a post saying he been wokring on it for 3 months, my mouth dropped open.