Charging for student licenses of AutoDesk software. Scam?

ReMark

This is a portion of an ad I saw running in craigslist.hartford this morning. The guy has some nerve charging a fee for something that is free. Comments anyone?

Autodesk and AutoCAD applications available.

All come with 3 year student license.

Digital download right from Autodesk. Serial delivered in hand.

Again, you must download the trial version from Autodesk, and I will provide you with the Activation code for the three year license. I can also provide the download links.

$150 each. Cash.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• hertz hound

• Organic

• Currahee

There are so many scams out there that it is scary.

This site http://www.students4autodesk.com/ sells AutoCAD to users who mistype the former url for the Autodesk student community.

Even reputable student software sites http://www.journeyed.com/product/search?srch_cat=_SOFTWARE&qk_srch=autocad sell the free software. (since the latest version can be downloaded each year - not sure why anyone would want 5-yr license)

Just to be clear to anyone who stumbles across this thread - students can download the latest Autodesk software for free/legal license from http://students.autodesk.com

You'll find piles of offerings like this on eBay as well, ranging anywhere from $20 up. I suspect what is happening is that you go download the trial version, and what you get for your money is a key generator that keeps you from having to actually be a student to get it. Some of the ads even mention ways to remove the educational watermark.

It always amazes me the lengths people will go to, and the effort they will put out to do something underhanded, when if they actually have all this talent, why not apply it to something legitimate?

• 11 months later...

So many scams....and what's really scary is that many of these Key Generators are Trojans which will install key stroke recorders and can steal your personal information like when you login to your bank account. The world is indeed a dangerous place and one should always be aware that if something sounds too good to be true, like AutoCAD for only $20, it's probably a scam.

• 11 months later...
This is a portion of an ad I saw running in craigslist.hartford this morning. The guy has some nerve charging a fee for something that is free. Comments anyone?

Autodesk and AutoCAD applications available.

All come with 3 year student license.

Digital download right from Autodesk. Serial delivered in hand.

Again, you must download the trial version from Autodesk, and I will provide you with the Activation code for the three year license. I can also provide the download links.

$150 each. Cash.

I have seen those on eBay and have contacted the seller and eBay about their wrong doing....it would stop for about a week then it would start over. Then I would send more complaint then it would stop then it would start over again.......

I have seen those on eBay and have contacted the seller and eBay about their wrong doing....it would stop for about a week then it would start over. Then I would send more complaint then it would stop then it would start over again.......

they say they offer AutoCAD for $xx.00 and they will email you the code. This can only happen from a student or from someone that has a legitimate college email address. Then they can download unlimited amount or copy their program and send it to them. People that doesn't know any better fall for this!!e

• 3 months later...

Has there been any change in the amonut of these scams?

It has been over 3 years, so I'm curious as to whether there's been any crackdown of sorts.

• 2 months later...

So if you are not a full time student and want to learn one of the programs how do you get it? I started learning with release 12 or13 (can't remember) and then went to 2000. Both were on computers that were given to me.

Two years ago I had to upgrade my skills from the company's ACad 2009 and jump to AMEP 2012. I know everyone is going to say the company should pay for training, they did buy the software, But I am an electrician in construction that only goes into the office as needed (and you could call me the Cad manager :?). Have any of you noticed the unemployment rates in construction? Around here four years ago they were at 50%. Lose you job and you won't get another one for 2 years, and then it may only be for a few weeks or a months' work and then out again for a year. Thankfully things are picking up, and I had the skills that kept me employed. One way I did it was E-Bay $25.00 student version MEP suite!!!! Call it a scam, but it put food on the table a roof over our heads and medical benefits. I downloaded the student version from autodesk and used the code that was e-mailed to me. The software is registered in my name with the correct address so it did not seem like a scam to me.

I would not want a software programmer to be out of work for a scam. So when the time comes again, tell me how do I get a student version without being a full time student? It is not going to be used for any reason other than learning. Our re-seller said they could not get me a student version. They will gladly sell me a full version!!!!

I'm not really sure how the EULA reads for the Free versions of the software. I do know that when you use the Free versions your drawings will be stamped accordingly. And if they are stamped with this warning, no real business will allow you to submit them as "official" thus you could never really profit from the use of such software other than learning to use it.

Now to address your point. If you're learning the software, doesn't that make you a student. No matter if you're attending classes at an accredited university or trade school, or if you're taking an on-line course, even if you're just reading and doing some of the 1000's of tutorial exercises available on-line. How do you think most of us learned AutoCAD anyway? And mostly, how does one keep up with all the changes with the software. You can't be expected to go pay another semester's tuition, just because a new release comes out. And doesn't that make all of us full-time students?

My point is that while Autodesk has to word their EULA very strictly, I don't think it was meant to infer that only a student in a fully accredited university can take advantage of the free versions. Others may see it differently.

Hopefully JD will weigh in, but I don't think the scenario smells right. If student is properly qualified, the Student software is free, not sold at cut-rate price on ebay.

And doesn't that make all of us full-time students? ... I don't think it was meant to infer that only a student in a fully accredited university can take advantage of the free versions

Autodesk defines a student as follows

Student - individual enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours in a degree-granting or certificate granting education program or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program.

@HH, Didn't you say in your other post your company had MEP / Building Design Suite on Subscription? If that is the case, then your Subscription contract manager can request a home use license for you, as home use licenses are explicitly permitted for both "internal business purposes" AND "employee personal education and training needs"

Edited by nestly

From another angle. I use 2013 LT at work, I would like to learn how to use inventor but it is only to give me the opportunity to look for other work. I do not have the time to follow a 'proper course' and a 30 day trial isn't enough to even scratch the surface. What options are there.

If you already have the full version then you don't need a student version. Basically, your company has made the investment already. Furthermore, in the Autodesk EULA you can take advantage of a Home Use License as well.

Also, this is why I like Revit. After thirty days of using the trial, you still have full access to the program. You simply cannot save or print. To me this is a great way to allow users to continue to learn the software but can't actually profit from it unlawfully.

From another angle. I use 2013 LT at work, I would like to learn how to use inventor but it is only to give me the opportunity to look for other work. I do not have the time to follow a 'proper course' and a 30 day trial isn't enough to even scratch the surface. What options are there.

How would that question be answered for anyone wanting to change fields?

The individual is responsible to get adequate training to be qualified for the new job, be it through formal training, or by investing in the required training material to train themselves.

True but I don't see the point of paying somebody to train me what they want to teach just so that I can get access to software. I would much prefer to pay for the software and teach myself what I want to learn. And I would have no problems with having plot stamps or even plotting disabled, to do that. And the investment is my time and willingness to learn. PS this isn't a serious request, I'm just pointing out that free software from Autodesk doesn't exist, you have to pay somewhere. And looking at some of the comments about online and even college courses, I would put them in the same category as SCAM. :)

@HH, Didn't you say in your other post your company had MEP / Building Design Suite on Subscription? If that is the case, then your Subscription contract manager can request a home use license for you, as home use licenses are explicitly permitted for both "internal business purposes" AND "employee personal education and training needs"

We have that now, not at the time. I was trying to get up to speed on MEP while my boss was working on a large contract. They got the job, then got the up-grade to Amep. I now have it at home also because of the subscription and a company computer. I have the student version of AMEP and Revit MEP on my personal computer which I started to try Revit again.

So if you are not a full time student and want to learn one of the programs how do you get it? I started learning with release 12 or13 (can't remember) and then went to 2000. Both were on computers that were given to me.

Download the 30 day trial version I guess. After 30 days you could always uninstall it, remove the registry keys the trial installed (and presumably tries to keep) and then reinstall the trial version for another 30 days. No idea if it works although I suspect it technically would.

One way I did it was E-Bay $25.00 student version MEP suite!!!! Call it a scam, but it put food on the table a roof over our heads and medical benefits. I downloaded the student version from autodesk and used the code that was e-mailed to me. The software is registered in my name with the correct address so it did not seem like a scam to me.

You probably bought an illegal copy - while you wouldn't get in trouble (if even found out at all) the person selling it could. If people want to learn the software and are not a student (so can't get the student version) then by all means go to ebay and pay $25 to learn the program. While I recognise this is probably not a popular view here , it is unrealistic for people to pay thousands of dollars to learn a software program by themselves.

So when the time comes again, tell me how do I get a student version without being a full time student?

You can't.

After 30 days you could always uninstall it, remove the registry keys the trial installed (and presumably tries to keep) and then reinstall the trial version for another 30 days.

Well, if you're gonna suggest that type of unethical and illegal activity, why even bother with uninstall/reinstall, just go the full warez route. :not cool:

While I recognise this is probably not a popular view here , it is unrealistic for people to pay thousands of dollars to learn a software program by themselves. [\quote]

So someone that wants to become a truck driver should just steal a truck and trailer and drive it around until they're good enough to get hired, because that's exactly what you just suggested to do. No, you don't steal a truck just to learn how to drive it and you don't go buy one either, you pay for training which gives you access to seat time in the training truck

Edited by nestly

Well, if you're gonna suggest that type of unethical and illegal activity, why even bother with uninstall/reinstall

I'm not a lawyer although I doubt it is illegal to keep uninstalling and reinstalling a trial piece of software so that you can continue to trial it so you are fully informed before purchasing it.

While I recognise this is probably not a popular view here , it is unrealistic for people to pay thousands of dollars to learn a software program by themselves. [\quote]

So someone that wants to become a truck driver should just steal a truck and trailer and drive it around until they're good enough to get hired, because that's exactly what you just suggested to do. No, you don't steal a truck just to learn how to drive it and you don't go buy one either, you pay for training which gives you access to seat time in the training truck

As I said, it might be an unpopular view.

No, you don't steal a truck. Although if someone needs additional practice in driving a truck so they can then obtain their truck license, then if they want to drive the truck in a private area without a license (which is not legal in most places), then who am I to say otherwise? Everyone learns at different rates remember.

The point I was making was that if using an extended trial version of AutoCad is what is required to get someone a drafting job using AutoCad, then good on that person for trying to better themselves. Autodesk wins in the end as more people are skilled in and use AutoCad, which in turn more companies then use.