Drawing cut up into thousand of pieces

czballer902

hello, i have a drawing on the original file it was created on but the architect who originally made the drawing cut the geometry into thousands of pieces i guess as protection, i know there is something you could do to cut the drawing into thousands of peices but i dont know how.he no longer works for the company but they need to now edit those floorplans, i dont know how to undo that, is there even a way to?

If its only lines, arcs, circles etc that have been "cut up" you could try PEDIT on multiple objects to join the cut entities. Its not perfect but could save some of the geometry.

You mean he "exploded" all the blocks in the drawing so everything is now just lines and arcs?

I'd lock the layers and trace over the objects using polylines wherever possible. I think trying to Pedit/Join a multitude of line segments could become a major pain in the neck.

Print to pdf and use a pdf convertor to convert it back to dwg :)

That will just make things worse because not only will you still have a bunch of individual line segments, all the arcs and circles will also be broken up into line segments. Those pdf conversion programs don't know how to handle curves so they just make line segments. Same goes for text. All text will be broken into line segments.

I wouldn't waste time trying to fix the entire drawing. Just fix the area where you need to make revisions and leave the rest as it is for now and fix it later, if need be.

You mean he "exploded" all the blocks in the drawing so everything is now just lines and arcs?

I'd lock the layers and trace over the objects using polylines wherever possible. I think trying to Pedit/Join a multitude of line segments could become a major pain in the neck.

Pedit, Multiple, All, Join, 0.1 (Fuzz distance), enter, done.

It may be that the drawing was produced in another cad package, which when translated to AutoCAD, produced what you see. If there is a dashed line in the original, it comes over as separate lines for each dash part, with nothing in the middle. Not much use using Pedit, unless the fuzz factor is as long as the space. :shock: