how can I scale my dimension text and arrow set to my plot scale?

stenews

Hi guys,

may be this is something well know but I'm still in trouble with that:

I need to scale my dimension annotations and arrow set according to my plot scale.

Thanks,

Stefano

When you say "dimension annotations" do you mean that you used annotative dimensioning? Where are your dimensions? In model space or in your layout?

hi ReMark and first off, many thanks for your reply

As far as I know in AutoCad 2005 I don't have any annotative dimensioning.

...Where are your dimensions? In model space or in your layout?...
in my layout

I mean, I know how to scale the entire drawn at my desired scale my I don't know how to make scale all the text and the dimensions line and arrow set accordingly to that scale

I'll attach the drawn, just in case...

scala_franco.dwg

Sorry about that. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee thus my eyes were mostly closed.

I'm not at my CAD computer so I cannot open your drawing.

Is everything, objects, text, dimensions in model space? I'm guessing you did not use a layout (which gives us access to paper space).

Isn't there a scaling factor inside the dimension styles dialog box somewhere?

Click the box labeled "Scale dimensions to layout" and place your dimension through the viewport and your dimension will automatically be scaled properly. If you happen to change the viewport scale after it's dimensioned, simply us the Update Dimension tool.

Is the OP utilizing a layout and viewport or is everything in model space?

ReMark, he did answer your question, in fact he quoted your question and then had his answer right after that quote.

@ReMark

Is everything, objects, text, dimensions in model space? I'm guessing you did not use a layout (which gives us access to paper space)
Is the OP utilizing a layout and viewport or is everything in model space?

yes, I'm using a layout

Thank you very much indeed:)

@rkent

thanks for your answer too, I appreciate that:)

Bye,

Stefano.

ReMark, he did answer your question, in fact he quoted your question and then had his answer right after that quote.

I really am blind. Maybe it's time for a rest. Gads!

Finally back on my CAD computer.

I opened your drawing. Your dimensions are in model space and not in your layout. There is a difference.

Give nestly's advice a try. If it doesn't do what you want then come back here and tell us.

By the way, I noticed that all of your dimensions as well as all the linework for the plan view of the stairs has been placed on layer "0". I also noticed that you decided to override the color used for your dimensions not once, but twice.

I suggest that you create two additional layers. The first layer will be strictly for your objects (the stairs). You can call this layer "Objects" or "Stairs". The second layer will be for your dimensions. Assign each a different color so they can be distinguished from each other. It is not good drafting practice drawing everything on layer "0" then overriding various properties.

I might also suggest that if you are going to use a layout that three more layers be created. One will be for viewports. Call this layer "Vports". Set this layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. The next should be used for your title block and border and the last one for your text.

Now I have a question. Have you created a template with all your linetypes, layers, and text parameters already incorporated within? If not, why not?

One last observation. I don't recommend putting your viewport on layer Defpoints. (See previous comment above). However, there are some here who see no problem with it. It is an old school technique that should perhaps go the way of the dodo bird. But if you wish to continue the practice I no longer find it worth the argument. Do as you wish.

maybe, it is time for a extra topic on the autocad beginners forum?

How to properly setup a drawing and using standard's.

Think that can be a real helper for the one's that learn autocad on there own.

Greetz to all from Belgium

Hi ReMark and thank you so much for your interest!

I'm more than a thank to you!

Your dimensions are in model space and not in your layout. There is a difference.
Which is the main difference? I mean, I need to know the dimensions in model space too when I'm drawing...what's the right way, to manage that?

By the way, I noticed that all of your dimensions as well as all the linework for the plan view of the stairs has been placed on layer "0". I also noticed that you decided to override the color used for your dimensions not once, but twice....
you're right, but this time I only did a draft...I use to manage better the layers...

it is not good drafting practice drawing everything on layer "0" then overriding various properties
you're right again I did a very bad job this time, just ignore it.

I'll try to follow your advises next time...:(

I might also suggest that if you are going to use a layout that three more layers be created. One will be for viewports. Call this layer "Vports". Set this layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. The next should be used for your title block and border and the last one for your text.
Could I see a properly draw that show me that?

Have you created a template with all your linetypes, layers, and text parameters already incorporated within? If not, why not?
No, I use to use the very default set up, and may be I'll change only something

BTW I'll try to listen your advice next time I draw something.

Thank you so much,

Stefano.

Many users want to see their dimensions in model space. The best way to do that, in my opinion, would be to use annotative scaling.

Although I have experimented with this method I do not use it, instead I put all my dimensions in my layout. I don't feel it is necessary to have a constant visual reminder of what a particular dimension is. There are other ways to obtain this information when required.

You want to see a drawing that is set up with layers for Vports, title block / border and text? I'm not sure why you would. The drawing would look, from all outward appearances, like any drawing except maybe for the colors used for each layer. The real difference would be seen when one opens the Layer Properties Manager and views the list of layers. So, for example, I may have a tank fabrication drawing with the following layers:

"0"

Vports

Dims

Tank

TB&B (for title block and border)

Text

Hatch

Not very complicated.

Please give some thought to creating a template file that has much of what is required pretty much preset and use this "master" drawing when starting any new project. You'll find it to be an efficient method.