How do i make Title Block for my Drawing?

Realg2010

Open a new drawing and start designing. When you are finished save the dwg as a template file. When you need the title block use the Insert command. The other option is to open the template file as quickly do a "save as" to save it as a drawing file.

You are using Layouts along with model space right? Then the template file would be inserted into your layout and not into model space. Remember the cardinal rule of AutoCAD is that all objects are drawn at full size in model space. Our title block and border belong in a layout. Layouts give us access to paper space. We plot/print from our layout at a scale of 1:1.

Open a new drawing and start designing. When you are finished save the dwg as a template file. When you need the title block use the Insert command. The other option is to open the template file as quickly do a "save as" to save it as a drawing file.

You are using Layouts along with model space right? Then the template file would be inserted into your layout and not into model space. Remember the cardinal rule of AutoCAD is that all objects are drawn at full size in model space. Our title block and border belong in a layout. Layouts give us access to paper space. We plot/print from our layout at a scale of 1:1.

ReMark, I don't think you can insert a template (.dwt) file in AutoCAD.

Reagl2010, Save the file (with the title block drawn in Model Space) as titleblock.dwg, etc., and insert that when needed. Or save the file as a template file and set it in Options, Files as your default template for new drawings. You will draw the title block like you would draw anything else, lines, plines, etc. You can use attributes for the area where names will go.

GENERIC-ARCH-TITLEB r2004.zip

ReMark, I don't think you can insert a template (.dwt) file in AutoCAD.

I'm baaaaaaaaaack.

Well I knew I had done it I just could not remember when. Needless to say this was bugging me so I went and tested it. Using AutoCAD 2010 and the scala_franco drawing downloaded from another thread here at CADTutor I successfully inserted the ANSI A title block template file found in AutoCAD 2004 with no problem what-so-ever. I believe we can say "This myth has been busted."

Just to clarify, you are inserting a file with an extension of .dwt? 2011 will not let me insert a file with a .dwt extension. No myth, it is for real in 2011 at least. When using insert command only .dwg and .dxf are listed, typing *.* will show all files and extensions but a .dwt will not insert.

Upon further review I failed to note that although I was loading from the Template folder the object in question was indeed a DWG file and not a DWT. The myth is not busted after all. However, I believe there are a couple of ways around this problem.

A new option.

Find and open one of the sample template files (.dwt) that comes with AutoCAD such as the Tutorial-iArch.dwt (there is a metric version as well). When that the template opens right in a D-size Layout (see tab). There are layers already defined for the title block and viewport amongst others. Explode the title block, edit it as you see fit then resave it under the old block name of "Architectural Title Block" or choose a new name. Make any other changes to layers, linetypes, font styles, etc. that you deem necessary then do a "save as" using a different name for your "custom" template.

Another option.

Say you created your title block and border in model space but want to move it to your layout where you have access to paper space. Simply open your layout, create a viewport, activate it then use the CHSPACE command to bring the objects in model space over to paper space.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but so relevant. Easiest way is to use X-Reference:

1) Create a Title Block Directory where you can put all your Title Block Designs.

2) Draw your Title Blocks using 1:1 scale in Model Space, the way you want, put in only those standard letters like Scale, Drawn By, Dwg No, Company Names, Logos, etc, and leave out those non-standard lettering like project titles, client names, designer & checker names, drafter names.

3) On any Drawings where you need the Title Blocks, just use X-REF to insert the Title Block you want, to any scale in model space or 1:1 in Paper Space.

4) One cool method is you could use an AutoLisp to automate the process where Standard & Non-Standard Title Blocks and Texts can be X-ref automatically.