Need help on structural drafting project

Firligic

Each way: one way you will see the side of the bar (single line, or polyline with or without thickness), the other you will see the round end of the bar (use a circle or a donut). The actual diameter of the bar may or may not be required to scale. I just use the same donut for 10m, 15m, 20m, whatever just so it plots ok. Unless there's some reason the accuracy is required.

Some of the terminology and questions can be cleared with Google Image searches, such as "footing keyway" and "weld symbols".

It's like a construction site on your desktop!

bar.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Firligic

• nestly

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 11 months later...

Can someone who actually did the structural drawing thru Penn Foster help me out. Im tryin to figure out how exactly this is supposed to be organized. I started out by drawing (Plate 1) in Model space at full scale. I am trying to stumble thru the sheet set version of this thing. Is that how it's supposed to be created? Also, when I do get on my 1st sheet, Im confused on how the dimensions and text should be scaled. Also, should everything including the balloons be created on Model space and text/dim on the layout? Then last. Though I have yet to get to that point, when Im done with the first plate, is a new model space attached to the sheet set for all remaining plates? Thanks for any help I can get.....

Penn-Foster now asks for a sheet-set version of the structural package? Can you post the PDF?

Re: Text and dimensions. Are you told, in the instructions, to use annotative scaling for these drawing elements?

No, thats the problem.... They dont say squat bout what they want.... Thats why Im tryin to figure out how to set this up. All it says in the instryctions is things that refer to "sheets". Like section A will be located on sheet 1 and the drawing on sheet 3 Sec B will be drawn on sheet 4..... So Im figuring thats what they are looking for. It dont say much bout text and dimension so I figure annotative is fine.

What a different world from SDRC/IDEAS.

structural drawing.pdf

No one I know who has done this project has used sheet sets.

From what I can tell from reviewing drawings done by past students is that every student, thus far, elected to do everything (geometry, text, dimensions and call-out bubbles) in model space. I haven't seen one person even use a layout. You're the first to even mention it (as well as sheet sets and annotative scaling). What are you doing taking this course? Seems you are already well ahead of everyone else.

I agree with Remark, unless your simply taking to become familiar with structural standards.

I remeber my first year of school we had Engineering Drawing 1 (AutoCAD basics). I had asked our prof if he wanted everything done in model space or papaerspace or a combination. He simply looked at me quizicaly and said. "No, what you think best." (He had immigrated from China only 3 years earlier).

You should have seen him playing with some of the dynamic blocks I made.

I now realize the way I typed that made me sound like I graduated college 15 years ago, when in reality im still going lol.

• 2 months later...

i'm working on the same project and i'm having trouble in the same area here. for some reason the screencast URL wont work anymore. any help nestly? thanks!

I don't know what happened to my 2nd video, but I re-uploaded another one in post #12. The video is not intended to be taken literally, only to demonstrate the general arrangement of the columns, beams, girders, and channels as described in the project booklet.

thats a pretty cool look at 3d part of AutoCAD. i understand what its meant to look like, just dont know exactly how they want me to draw the 4x4x6 pieces of angle. i will play around with it some more and hopefully post a look at my drawing soon. Thanks for re-uploading your video.

Are you attempting to draw Plate 1? I thought that all one had to do for the channels that span between the columns was to indicate the centerline?

I noticed that you did not create a block for each of your column profiles.

Where is the baseplate for the column that sits upon a pier/footing?

ClipDetail.jpg

A quick mockup showing what a 4x4x6 angle "clip" (red) might look like in relation to a column (green) and a channel (yellow).

The clip would be bolted to the web of both the column and the channel.

Yes, I know I did not show the bolt holes. That wasn't the purpose of the detail.

I'm not familiar with Penn/Foster, but the project booklet does seem to be a bit lacking. There seems to be a tenancy for students to orient the girders and channels vertically rather than horizontally. The channel to girder connection is specified, but not the column to girder connection(s), nor the orientation of the channels. The column baseplate is also ambiguous, the location of the anchor bolt hole seems confusing, and while anchor bolt size is specified, the bolt hole diameter is not. Maybe those things are covered elsewhere, but I'm not sure how someone can draw girders without knowing how they're connected, or how to draw the holes in the baseplate without knowing the hole diameter?

I couldn't agree more and this lack of attention to detail is evident throughout all the sections of the course. Just one more reason why I don't hold P-F in very high regard.

Now, they could argue they are teaching AutoCAD technique and content doesn't really matter but I would counter "do it right or don't do it at all".

• 4 weeks later...

Do your instructions call for the channel to sit on top of the beams or to run between the beams?

Edited by ReMark

Beam&Channel.jpg

I believe this is how the connection should be made. The steel decking that supports the poured in place concrete would sit atop the channel.