Screws

xnuts

I am asked to draw 3 views of third angle projection for a stopscrew and plunger in autocad but both of them have a dimension M10 X 1.5 which i do not know how to draw this portion can someone help me :(

Model it in 3D (if possible) and pull your views from the model. Or you can look around for CAD drawings that already exist of said parts and use those. Can you post an image of the parts you are attempting to draw?

Model it in 3D (if possible) and pull your views from the model. Or you can look around for CAD drawings that already exist of said parts and use those. Can you post an image of the parts you are attempting to draw?

An example done in 3D by forum member J.D.Mather. Notice on page two he mentions he will be cutting M10x1.5 threads. How great is that?

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

I am not really sure on what to do as it is my first time doing CAD. The instruction is to draw it in third angle with 3 views and i am only given one view below are the items that i am asked to drawIMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

This sort of thing is normally taught in a beginning drafting class (BTW - 3rd angle projection has nothing to do with 3D, simply sets standard for location of Top, Front, Right Side 2D views relative to each other).

I don't think the link cited earlier (3D model of cut threads) is what you are expected to do.

There are three ways to represent the threads, Simplified Representation (most common), Schematic Representation, and Detailed Representation. From your pics it looks like Simplified Representation is the standard to use.

Your parts look to me like they would typically be done with a single view rather than multi views.

The thread depth is drawn to a nominal size rather than actual size as if drawn actual size the lines would be so close together they would essentially print as a blob (not so much a problem with modern laser printers vs older pen plotters, but there are standards on how to determine the nominal distance for aesthetics.

Modern programs like Autodesk Inventor take care of this for you.

Before I show you the solutions - is this a school assignment?

This sort of thing is normally taught in a beginning drafting class (BTW - 3rd angle projection has nothing to do with 3D, simply sets standard for location of Top, Front, Right Side 2D views relative to each other).

I don't think the link cited earlier (3D model of cut threads) is what you are expected to do.

There are three ways to represent the threads, Simplified Representation (most common), Schematic Representation, and Detailed Representation. From your pics it looks like Simplified Representation is the standard to use.

Your parts look to me like they would typically be done with a single view rather than multi views.

The thread depth is drawn to a nominal size rather than actual size as if drawn actual size the lines would be so close together they would essentially print as a blob (not so much a problem with modern laser printers vs older pen plotters, but there are standards on how to determine the nominal distance for aesthetics.

Modern programs like Autodesk Inventor take care of this for you.

Before I show you the solutions - is this a school assignment?

Hmm not really an assignment. just some extra work i wanted to try during the hoildays. So i do not need to draw threads on it? Just boxes to represent it?

So i do not need to draw threads on it?

You tell me. Simplified, Schematic or Detailed? You might go to http://www.amazon.com or your local library and get a book on basic drafting techniques. Anyone in this field should have at least one by their side along with the Machinerys' Handbook.

My guess is there are numerous referenced on the internet as well. In particular you might check http://www.Wikipedia.com for definitions of 3rd angle projection (used primarily in USA) and 1st angle projection (used in many countries) for placing standard views.

Attached is example of Simplified Representation. Notice that the Top and Right Side views don't really add additional information to the drawing and would typically be omitted. This is common for cylindrical parts that do not have flats or holes perpendicular to the axis.

In the attached image the class of fit (6g) in the thread note is optional. For a complete discussion on thread nomenclature see your Machinery's Handbook.

3rd angle projection.png

Modern CAD programs like Autodesk Inventor have the standards built-in and can be selected by simple dialog boxes.

Threads and thread notes are created automatically for you.

Basically - the Machinery's Handbook built into the software.

Projection Type.jpg

You should try your hand at drawing all three types: Simplified, Schematic and Detailed just for practice. With JDM's guidance you should have no problem.

screws.jpgThere are a number of ways to represent threads. There are standards that are recognized that have been mentioned here, and some that are a bit unorthodox. I have come to realize that there are really three ways to do anything: the right way, the wrong way and the company/customer/boss way. Here are three that I commonly use. All depends on what the person who's paying for the drawing wants to see.