Turn off Auto Snap? FOREVER!

rwhitt0724

It may sound crazy but is there an option to turn off autostap forever? I hate autosnap with a passion and I want it gone. I didn't really do any in-depth search just wondering if anyone knew if it was even possible? If not that, I guess I could just change the F9 key to not be assigned to autosnap.

Did I mention I really hate autosnap?

The only time SNAP becomes a problem for me is the rare instance I use it for one particular engineer's drawing. The other 99.9% of the time it never comes into play. I can't even say that I've accidentally hit the key either. So how come you seem to have such a problem with it? To me it is a virtual non-entity. If I hadn't seen your post I would have never thought of it.

My keyboard is a little different than a standard one. The F1-F5 keys are grouped together, the F6-F10 keys are grouped together; instead of F1-F4, F5-F8, F9-F12 as on a normal keyboard. I do not use Snap (F9), but do use Ortho religiously (F8 ). You would think after years of using this keyboard I would get used to it but I am constantly accidentally pressing F9 instead of F8. I literally never have a reason to use snap, so I would rather it just be permanently turned off (or at least unable to be activated by F9, which after thinking, I figure is probably the easiest way to turn it off permanently, by finding out how to remove F9 from being its shortcut button).

Disable in altogether or reassign it to a function/command you do use. The alternative is get smaller fingers (doubtful) or larger keys. Heck, just pry the darn key right off and never worry about it again. LOL

I agree with Remark, go to your CUI and edit what F9 does and that will solve your problem.

This has nothing to do with the original question, other than it's similar and a little bit funny. I use a Saitek Cyborg keyboard. I also play music while drafting, and I noticed right after I got this thing that nearly everytime I hit F8, the music player would jump to the next song. Could not figure out why for the life of me why that was happening. This keyboard has a membrane strip above the F keys to control an assortment of functions, some of them being the various features of the media player. One day I actually looked at the keyboard while I was reaching for F8 and discovered the problem. I was touching the fast forward button with a stray finger while hitting that key. Moral of this story....sometimes you just gotta be smarter than the stuff you're working with, and in this case, I wasn't!

My computer had extra buttons to the left of the board and every time I hit tab I would open up the internet browser. This got old after a week. I took that key off the board and with time have removed all those hotkeys, because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I design commercial playground equipment with CAD.

Edited by Cadderpillar

It may sound crazy but is there an option to turn off autostap forever? I hate autosnap with a passion and I want it gone. I didn't really do any in-depth search just wondering if anyone knew if it was even possible? If not that, I guess I could just change the F9 key to not be assigned to autosnap.

Did I mention I really hate autosnap?

Careful with your terminology, AutoSnap is completely different from Snap. I rarely use snap and I have it set to a really small setting in a startup lisp file. That way if it is on at some point it doesn't get in the way.

Good point rkent. I am talking about the GRID SNAP/SNAP MODE (F9 is the default key to turn it off and on; if grid snap/snap mode isn't the accurate name either). NOT AUTOSNAP. LOVE AUTOSNAP! HATE GRID SNAP! And does anyone actually know how to remove this F9 key from turning it on? I was trying to mess with the CUI and I found the command but could not find how it was linked to the F9 key. Does anyone have any info on that or could you refer me to a topic that covers something like this?

Nestly, thanks for your help but that didn't work? I followed the directions of your screencast video, I deleted the temporary override key for the Snap option (I did see that it was associated with F9) but the F9 key still turns it on and off?! Totally confused now... Not sure how that is possible but that's what it did... Maybe I'll just have to deal with it because that completely throws me... I even shut down and restarted AutoCAD and still no luck.... :?

(Also, the Snap Override is no longer visible in the CUI box. It really appears gone but it still acts as it did before.)

Rather than delete that change the F9 key to work with Ortho, that way the new definition will over right the default. I have most of my F keys set to different osnaps so I know it works.

Rather than delete that change the F9 key to work with Ortho, that way the new definition will over right the default. I have most of my F keys set to different osnaps so I know it works.

That didn't work either... I have a Simpson-Tie pulldown menu that I downloaded from the simpson website that contains there connectors, I had to customize my CUI to get that to work, and ever since then I've had a feeling that it did something to my autocad that prevented it from being customized correctly anymore. I wonder if this has something to do with it?