redefine multiple block definitions in a drawing

jurgen wuytack

Hi there

We need to change +/- 100 symbol drawings we use in P&ID because wa adapt them to new European standard. Changes of all tehse drawings (symbols) has been done and now I want to open an existing P&ID drawing and change all the existing block definitions to the new symbols. can anyone tell me how to do this without doing it for each separate symbol ?

thx in advance

Edited by jurgen wuytack

First I have a simple question. Will the insertion point for the new symbol be the same as the one it is replacing and will the symbols also be the same size?

symbols have indeed same size and insertion , for example the old symbol was a circle totally filled up, now it is a circle but hatched inside. I can change all the symbols simply by redefinfing them but at this moment I need to do it with each block separately and I want to do it all in once

And both symbols have different names right? Are any attributes attached to the symbols?

We need to know what version of AutoCAD you are currently using.

we have a P&ID where we have inserted for example 20 different symbols named F01, F02, ...

Now these symbols are changed (small changes due to new European rules) and we want to update the P&ID so the used symbols F01, F02, ... are like the changed symbols in our symbol directory. If I insert F01= in the drwing then it is OK , only problem is that I need to do it 20 times (for some PéID 100 symbols where used) So I want to know wether there is a system to do it all in once (if I drag the symbol drawings in the main (P&ID) drawing the existant block definition will nog be overwritten so this is no solution.

We use Autocad Release 2011

Grtz

Then why not use a script file to do it for you? You can download ScriptPro from the AutoDesk website or use forum member Lee Mac's scripting program.

I've made a script file but didn't know how to deal with the escape command. After some searching (^C^C didn't work)

I found I could use (command). With one block this is working OK , I now try it for 2 blocks and it doesn't work (only for the first block). can anyone hlep me ?

example script

-INSERT

F01=

(command)

-INSERT

F02=

(command)