how should i give dimension in isometric drawing........

mateen

Hi, every one now a day i am making isometric drawings so i m little bit confuse in that i am using dimension and change the oblige angle text of dimension so is it right way or not ????:):?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vagulus

• ReMark

• rkent

• mateen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's one way to do it. The other way, if you will be doing these types of drawings often, would be to create two different text styles (using a positive and negative oblique angle) and two different dimension styles that use the new text styles you just created. I would then suggest the use of the DIMALIGNED command for your two dimension styles. I'm sure there is at least one other way to create isometric dimensions, in AutoCAD, that I haven't thought of. Someone else can volunteer that information.

Hi, every one now a day i am making isometric drawings so i m little bit confuse in that i am using dimension and change the oblige angle text of dimension so is it right way or not ????:):?

The attached might help you with making isometric drawings with dimensions, text, etc.

If you draw in 3D then all these extra steps are no longer needed.

ISO-DIMensions 2007.dwg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am new here and am confronted with a similar challenge. After i am done with the drawing and i tried to dimension it, something funny cropped up. the dimensions i get are ten times greater than what i drew with. an item 50mm long appears as 500. I've tried all i could to bring it back to normal to no avail. I'd have loved to attach a copy of the drawing here, but i the file is 500kb in excess of what is permissible. I'd be more than happy if anyone in here could help me out. Thanks

I am new here and am confronted with a similar challenge. After i am done with the drawing and i tried to dimension it, something funny cropped up. the dimensions i get are ten times greater than what i drew with. an item 50mm long appears as 500. I've tried all i could to bring it back to normal to no avail. I'd have loved to attach a copy of the drawing here, but i the file is 500kb in excess of what is permissible. I'd be more than happy if anyone in here could help me out. Thanks

Welcome to CADTutor! :)

maybe it has something to do with your Scale Factor...

open Dimension Style Manager (DIMSTYLE)

Go to PRIMARY UNITS tab and under Measurement Scale,

Set Scale Factor to 1

Alternatively, you can set System Variable DIMLFAC to 1

When doing only a few ISO dimensions, you can manually change text orientation with the DDEDIT - 0/0.00000......change the number after the / mark such as 30 or -30

and rotate text.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nod684, I used your files to created isodim button but I still need to oblique the dim to get it right. Did i do something wrong or we always need to oblique the dim?

• 11 months later...
That's one way to do it. The other way, if you will be doing these types of drawings often, would be to create two different text styles (using a positive and negative oblique angle) and two different dimension styles that use the new text styles you just created. I would then suggest the use of the DIMALIGNED command for your two dimension styles. I'm sure there is at least one other way to create isometric dimensions, in AutoCAD, that I haven't thought of. Someone else can volunteer that information.

I must be going mad. I have (I think) set up a text style, and made it current, which should align text for isometric dimensioning.

ISO 330 Text Style.jpg

The trouble is that it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Isometric.jpg

I just get the same effect as I always did using DIMALIGNED.

I know that there is a way to set up for dimensioning isometric drawings but all the fiddling around I have done with the Text Style and Dimension Style Manager get me nowhere.

What am I missing? Can someone come up with a list of instructions on how to make this thing work?

Thanks

I thought the dimension text style is set in the dimension manager and takes that irrespective of the current text style. Check what style your dimension has using your properties palette and change it there if necessary.

The eighth post in this thread, by rkent, contains a very informative drawing, which no doubt would help you with this.:)

Edited by Dadgad

I thought the dimension text style is set in the dimension manager and takes that irrespective of the current text style. Check what style your dimension has using your properties palette and change it there if necessary.

Here is my Properties Pallette.

PropertiesPallette.jpg

It doesn't say a lot about dimensions.

P.S. I am using AutoCAD 2014.

Success - in a way.

Success.jpg

For the record (this is AC14) this insertion if

(Top Menu) Insert -> DWG Reference -> Select -> (Attach External Reference) OK -> Left-click insertion point.

That gets your drawing in my drawing - then ..

I selected your drawing and erased it.

This left me with my drawing and the DIMEDIT functionality of your drawing.

Thanks. Now I can put that into my personally modified template.:D

There is one thing, though. It is all very well to be able to use something devised by someone else, but as a somewhat independent soul I'd like to know how to set that up for myself. It is that knowledge I have been pursuing for a week or more.

Is it too much to ask that you might let me in on the secret?:roll:

Thanks

Is it too much to ask that you might let me in on the secret?:roll:

Thanks

Vagulus - you have been given everything you need to figure this out on your own. Go back to post #3 and read that and study everything else you have been given. You may be making this way harder than it is.

Create the two text styles, see posts above.

Create two dim styles using the text styles, see posts above.

Dimension with aligned, oblique every dimension you place, see posts above.