How to show automatically measures on drawing area?

pippobaudo

Hello and thanks for your attention,

I am a beginner with autocad 2010, I'd like to know how to show automatically the measures of what I am drawing as a part of the drawing.

For example when I draw a line, normally I have to add the Aligned Dimension afterwords, but I'd like to have the dimension right after the draw of the line. Or if I draw a circle, I'd like to have the radius dimension on the area right after the insertion of the circle.

I hope you have some suggestions.

Thanks and happy new year !!!!!:D

Thank you very much, that is quite fast. Now the problem is how to organize the Dimensions when you have several shapes on a drawing sheet.

I'd like to know where to learn how properly put the annotations and dimensions on the sheet, some books....tutorials etc.

Thank you very much ReMark.

That will depend somewhat on the field you are working in (ex. - architectural, civil, mechanical, etc.) and the company you work for (they might have a "standard" for you to follow).

Do you have access to a library? You could look at a book about drafting. Other sources of information would be your AutoCAD Help files and images of drawings on the Internet. You could look at Google Images for architectural drawings as an example.

What field are you working in or are you a student?

Thanks again, I am starting with the book: Introduction to autocad 2010, I am a researcher and I would like to learn how to design mechanical pieces.

Happy new year !!:D[/i]

If that book is the one by A. Yarwood, it will teach you very much of how to use AutoCAD, but it will not teach very much in the way of basic drafting techniques. I would very much like to echo what Remark said, and encourage you to get a book specifically on basic drafting. You can find them in used bookstores, public libraries, and online in places like Amazon. Most AutoCAD books are written on the premise that you already have this knowledge. The AutoCAD book will show you how to create a dimension using the software, but the drafting book will show you how to place dimensions, what parts of your drawing that actually needs dimensions, how to arrange the views properly on the paper, and lots of other things that will allow you to communicate your intention to the person making the part you've drawn.

I am a researcher and I would like to learn how to design mechanical pieces.

I think I would want to be learning a modern CAD program for that purpose.

Educators and students can download Autodesk Inventor for free.

Thanks, may be JD Mather is right, first I get a bit familiar with Autocad then maybe I try to use some other programs, like Autocad Inventor. One thing at a time :D

I am up with JD Mather if you planning to do mechincal stuff put away the autocad. Get yourself a decent mechanical drafting program like Inventor.

Because if you start now with autocad and you realize later on that you want to switch you can re-do everything. Going from inventor to autocad is a piece of cake, so no worries if you don't like inventor.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I agree entirely that Inventor is far superior for mechanical drawing, but there are lots of companies out there that still don't have anything but Autocad to use. Curiously, its been my experience that the larger, older companies are the ones that are most stubborn on this issue. There's a mindset that says "we don't need or have time for 3d" that's still extremely prevalent. Another is the cost. The bean counters see only the dollar signs, which is why LT is so popular. Never mind that it actually costs more in the long run, it's how much money is spent today that they can see.

My advice: learn both!

Guys' date=' don't get me wrong, I agree entirely that Inventor is far superior for mechanical drawing, but there are lots of companies out there that still don't have anything but Autocad to use. Curiously, its been my experience that the larger, older companies are the ones that are most stubborn on this issue. There's a mindset that says "we don't need or have time for 3d" that's still extremely prevalent. Another is the cost. The bean counters see only the dollar signs, which is why LT is so popular. Never mind that it actually costs more in the long run, it's how much money is spent today that they can see.

My advice: learn both![/quote']

For learning purpose your right, the rest is just bullocks. 3D is only a small portion of the reasons of moving to a program like Inventor.

In inventor your data is much better stored and it stores much more data then Autocad. And data=money. Also plm systems with autocad well it works, but not as good as inventor or Solidworks, you can lose lots of data (money) here.

And for the costs autocad costs as much as Solidworks and draftsight is free, while autocad lt is not so if you want to go basic...go free. If you have to work with autocad too buy Inventor and you get autocad also.

/couldn't resist myself replying to this.... srry for the offtopic :P

For learning purpose your right, the rest is just bullocks. 3D is only a small portion of the reasons of moving to a program like Inventor.

In inventor your data is much better stored and it stores much more data then Autocad. And data=money. Also plm systems with autocad well it works, but not as good as inventor or Solidworks, you can lose lots of data (money) here.

And for the costs autocad costs as much as Solidworks and draftsight is free, while autocad lt is not so if you want to go basic...go free. If you have to work with autocad too buy Inventor and you get autocad also.

/couldn't resist myself replying to this.... srry for the offtopic :P

You are preaching to the choir here. I'm just telling you what I've run into. A lot of the management in today's business still see drawings as "lines on paper". They don't understand it, so they oppose it.

hello everybody, I have to clarify that I am interested in drawing really simple pieces which are fixed in the space,

the pieces that you can find in 3D drawing tutorials and books for autocad are far more complicated then the pieces I'd like to do :)

I have a question related to the drawing of arcs: when I draw an arc from Polyline it gives me convex arcs by default (open on the top), how to switch to concave with no need to use the option "Direction".

Lets suppose that I have the radius of the arc, then it is not possible to choose the direction after the radius; so if you know 2 points and the radius, how to switch the arc from convex to concave ?

I hope I am explained.

Thanks again guys :)

Too complicated? I'm sure those same books have some "simple" examples to work on. Stop by the library and pick up a book on mechanical drafting. There will be lots of things to draw in 3D from the simple to the complex.

Another option. Pick up some everyday objects one might find in their home and draw them up. You'll have the advantage of being able to turn the objects any which way and measure them directly. Get creative or do you want to be a "tracer" when you enter the CAD profession?

Thanks ReMark, but i was meaning that I don't need to do complicated shapes NOT that they where too complicated for me :) (which is also true)

Can you help me with the following question?

when I draw an arc from Polyline it gives me convex arcs by default (open on the top), how to switch to concave with no need to use the option "Direction".

Lets suppose that I have the radius of the arc, then it is not possible to choose the direction after the radius; so if you know 2 points and the radius, how to switch the arc from convex to concave ?

I hope I am explained.

Thanks again guys