dwg to shp

RONK79

i have a customer that is wanting a drawing file to be exported to a shape file... no idea why.. or what for... i am not sure how to do this... tried what "help" recommended.. and ended up making a copy of the dwg file and changing the extension to .shp and sent it... apparently it is now "missing parts" asking now for other file extensions we are not familiar with...

can anyone explain the how, what, and why of this matter

thanks

jr

arc view... arc gis is what they are using... needing to overlay lines and info over our dwg

Shape files can be created with AutoCAD Map 3D.

Express Tools has a MKSHAPE command but I assume you tried that already. Mostly people use it when they are creating custom linetypes along with the MKLTYPE command. I'm not sure if it will do what you and the customer want. Maybe rkent can answer that one. It's beyond my scope of experience.

.prj

.sbn

.sbx

.shx

these are the requested file extensions they are requesting... any ideas what they are and how to accomplish the conversion

A shp file has two different meanings in autocad its exactly that a shape, in ARC GIS etc its like a dwg with attached information on the entities the two are chalk and cheese.

Dont use mkshape.

To quote help

AutoCAD Map 3D supports up to ArcView version 3.2 and 8.x.
ESRI SHP files store both geometry and attributes (data) for features. A single shape can have as many as five physical files with the same filename, but different file extensions:
[list]
[*][i].shp[/i]— Geometric data. Data for multiple points, polylines, and polygons can be stored in one SHP file, but each SHP file can store only one type of geometry. For example, a line SHP file can contain data for rivers, roads, and pipes.
[*][i].shx [/i]— A geometric index to the map features, which can be used by some applications to find features in disparate sections of a large map.
[*][i].dbf[/i]— Attribute data associated with the map features.
[*][i].prj[/i]—Projection and coordinate system data. This file is created only if your map has an assigned coordinate system.
[*][i].idx[/i]—Identifies the index field for the related SHP file, which is the unique identifier for each entity in the SHP file.
[/list]

Check if they can import a DXF

thank you very much bigal...i will check it out...

can i just save a copy of the dwg and change the extension.. or is there more to it than that if i dont have acad map 3d

• 3 months later...

@Awoel: Not sure what programs you are using but if you have access to AutoCAD Map 3D or Civil 3D, then you can very easily open a SHP in CAD and even save it as a DWG or DXF.

• 4 years later...