Time Tracking

hoax23

What software is everyone using? I'm looking for software that would allow me to have my employees click on the job name then the floor they are working on and then the task such as meetings and either have a running time count or manually input the time so it would report the time as (Test Job>2nd Floor>Meeting>HH:MM). We tried TimeGuard but it seemed to me it had some flaws however I liked the way it was organized as far as general task and then specific task. I would also like the software to have one central database that is managed by one person. any software suggestions is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanjt

• Jack_O'neill

• DANIEL

• Patrick Hughes

Hello hoax23 (if in fact that is your real name :) )

You might want to take a look at my CadTempo software that was designed to log various cad (and other) programs.

At this time it does not have specific job naming as you describe but is more based on drawing names and depending on your directory structure it may provide what you are looking for. In other words if your files are set up on your hard drive like C:\Job Name\floor\meeting then all work within that folder (and subfolders) is easily accounted for and retrievable.

Forgot to mention that it is automatic, your employees do not need to do anything for logging to occur.

Edited by Patrick Hughes
Added note

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Im a bit late to the party, but I use http://www.timedoctor.com to track my time.

If im not on Autocad im not getting paid so its pretty good for keeping focused.

Its supposed to be for managers tracking staff but I use it on myself, you can set tasks for working offline and it records idle time too.

It sounds like it would do what youre after,

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

In house developed program called I-trax.

Actually the developer has moved on and sells it online. Also a job and client database.

What's up with all this time tracking software? Are we billing to the minute now? How about just jotting one's time down on a piece of paper?

There is a little time tracker thingy on the express tools menu. I've never used it, but it looks interesting. It has a timeout timer for periods of inactivity that can be adjusted to suit. Stores the info in the drawing database. Won't tell you who worked on it or when, just for how long.

I use a clock and notepad, myself.

Itrax is 15 minute increments. Plus you can access the job file from the timesheet, enter contact info and job description, forward emails to a documentation folder and I think export the timesheet to Quickbooks.

What's up with all this time tracking software? Are we billing to the minute now? How about just jotting one's time down on a piece of paper?

Whatever works for you! Keep in mind though, it won't be long and the kids won't even know what a pencil, pen or paper is. :unsure:

Whatever works for you! Keep in mind though, it won't be long and the kids won't even know what a pencil, pen or paper is. :unsure:

Man, my pen is one of the most important things I carry around.

Man, my pen is one of the most important things I carry around.

Oh, believe me I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like a security blanket to me. If I ever get called out to the shop or anywhere first thing I do is grab my 0.9mm Pentel mechanical pencil. I'm naked without it.

Oh, believe me I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like a security blanket to me. If I ever get called out to the shop or anywhere first thing I do is grab my 0.9mm Pentel mechanical pencil. I'm naked without it.

Oh yeah, I keep the Space Pen in my pants pocket at all times, but as soon as I get in the office, I put my 0.05 pentel forte and my red sharpie in my shirt pocket.

I have found a new writing instrument that I think I really like. Sharpie is making liquid graphite pencils now. Works like a ball point pen, but it deposits liquid graphite. If the marks sit a few days, they don't erase very well, and being ball point technology you can't vary the shade by pressing harder or lighter, but you can't break the point while writing with it either. I have two of them, and so far they seem to be ok.

What does that have to do with time tracking? Well, you use these to write down your time, that's what!

I have found a new writing instrument that I think I really like. Sharpie is making liquid graphite pencils now. Works like a ball point pen' date=' but it deposits liquid graphite. If the marks sit a few days, they don't erase very well, and being ball point technology you can't vary the shade by pressing harder or lighter, but you can't break the point while writing with it either. I have two of them, and so far they seem to be ok.

What does that have to do with time tracking? Well, you use these to write down your time, that's what![/quote']

Sounds pretty cool. Might have them order me one.

back on subject, I think we use a program called high jump and I think it's run through webwise but I am not certain I know what I'm talking about here lol.

We use an iPad-based software to clock in/out for the day, but as far as tracking time for individual projects, we use pencil/pen and paper. Or some of us have translated the paper worksheet into an easier Excel workbook.

The iPad thing takes your picture when you clock in/out, so that you can't have someone else do it for you.

I usually have a red gel pen, black old-style ball-point Zebra pen, and .05mm click pencil. When I'm working in the garage at home, I have red sharpie, black sharpie, carpenter pencil and .05mm click pencil.

We use an iPad-based software to clock in/out for the day, but as far as tracking time for individual projects, we use pencil/pen and paper. Or some of us have translated the paper worksheet into an easier Excel workbook.

The iPad thing takes your picture when you clock in/out, so that you can't have someone else do it for you.

Damn dude; Big Brother has his eye on you.

Do you work in a prison? If they can't trust their employees with something as simple as clocking in and out, they need to hire better quality people.

Do you work in a prison? If they can't trust their employees with something as simple as clocking in and out' date=' they need to hire better quality people.[/quote']

We had to let an electrical drafter go a couple years ago because she was clocking in, then going home, then coming back to clock out and go home again ......