SNAP Mode turned on

jackson6612

Hi

When the SNAP Mode is turned on the cross hair doesn't move smoothly. It's a kind of annoying. What's the reason for this? By the way, what's the function of SNAP mode? Please help me. Thanks.

Its just as it should be. When SNAP is turned on the crosshair snaps to grid-points on your drawing area - if you right-click on the SNAP-toggle button at the bottom of the screen and select settings you can set at which intervals that the cursor should snap. I am sure that it has its functions but I can't tell you which since I never use SNAP.

Snap and Grid are drawing aids. Some CAD users find it helpful but most don't. I do not use it with the exception of one set of drawings previously drawn by one of our chemical engineers. He used it in all his piping schematics. He drew his process lines on a eighth inch grid leaving spaces for his symbols which he would come back later and insert. Each symbol is one quarter inch wide and the center point of the symbol matches up with the grid he uses. Personally, I find this slows me down. It is also very frustrating to use in my opinion.

Turned off Grid and Snap (not to be confused with Osnap which is useful) in my second CAD class back in the last century (1987), used it maybe once or twice since.

Hi

When the SNAP Mode is turned on the cross hair doesn't move smoothly. It's a kind of annoying. What's the reason for this? By the way, what's the function of SNAP mode? Please help me. Thanks.

LOL because it snaps to points, that is the reason.. ;)

Should press F1 or keep your cursor on the function so you get more info.

Snap can be very helpful in certain types of drawings. As mentioned by another poster, schematics are a good example. Electrical one lines, ladder diagrams, process flow diagrams, P&ID, etc. Some places require those be drawn with a certain snap setting as the blocks are made to match that setting. If the setting is too coarse it does get disconcerting to look at a certain location on screen and not be able to get the mouse to that point.

• 2 weeks later...
Turned off Grid and Snap (not to be confused with Osnap which is useful) in my second CAD class back in the last century (1987), used it maybe once or twice since.

Hi JD

You have helped me with many queries. Thank you for all the help. I wish you good luck, happiness and health.