how do i draw this thing?

jackson6612

Hi

How do I draw this thing shown in the video? Do I have to use small arcs? Is there a way to multiply one arc to several ones with each one touching the other?

Likewise, how is a 2D spring drawn in AutoCAD 2005?

Video:

Please help me. Thanks for your time.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jackson6612

• Cat

• Tiger

• Currahee

The "thing" you refer to is a transformer. Are you trying to draw the silkscreen for a circuit board or a schematic diagram of the circuit? If you're doing a silkscreen, what you show in your video is probably ok. All a silkscreen is really for is component location. If you are doing a schematic diagram of the circuit itself, you've got some issues.

If you are doing a schematic diagram of the circuit itself' date=' you've got some issues.[/quote']

Yep - if drawing an electrical schematic you will want to use the proper symbology. There are folks here that can help you with locating or creating blocks. Let us know - I have a few.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

I have followed the video posted by JP above. But still see what I get:

This is what I get when I use "Array" command:

This is what I get what I use copy-paste method:

Please help.

First, start using the COPY command in AutoCAD. You start it by typing COPY (or CO I suspect). That command will give you more options, like useing a basepoint for copy so you can place the object where you want it later. You can also copy multiple times at the same time.

Second, Array. Instead of typing in a distance between the arrayed objects, you can click the icon and pick two points in your drawing to get the distance, like in this case from one end of the half-circle to the next.

I don't know if this has been asked before, if you have answered it please forward me there - but I gather that you are a beginner at AutoCAD? Are you in school? taking classes? Self-teaching as a hobby or for a project/work? I am wondering because it will help understand where you are coming from and how to help you the best.

To copy - set your osnap to endpoint. Then you can select your objects and when you copy you can snap from the end of your line to the endpoint of your 'tail'. Otherwise if you array - do like Tiger says and click on the icon to the right of your row distance to select the distance from the end of the line to the end of the tail. That should do it.

I am curious - are you just trying to copy what you see or are supposed to be drafting an electrical schematic?

Tiger says:

I don't know if this has been asked before, if you have answered it please forward me there - but I gather that you are a beginner at AutoCAD? Are you in school? taking classes? Self-teaching as a hobby or for a project/work? I am wondering because it will help understand where you are coming from and how to help you the best.

Ryder says:

I am curious - are you just trying to copy what you see or are supposed to be drafting an electrical schematic?

Thank you, both of you. I'm just trying to learn AutoCAD. My brother is a student and is also learning to use it; actually he learns from me and I learn from you guys. Thanks. It's a good software as is MS Office. One can do many simple things using it. Well, my brother is supposed to draw electrical circuits, that's why I concentrate more on such such things.

Best wishes

Jackson

Jackson,

You can use all the techniques described to create a symbol for a transformer, but I'd just go to the basic electronics symbols library that comes with Autocad and get one myself. lol