Block inserted on long layer

MetsoKyle

Hi All,

I have a block that goes to the standard "0" layer when inserted from the toolpallette onto a drawing. I go into the block editor and everything is on the "AM_6" layer, like it should be. I am not sure why the block is switching layers when inserted. Any ideas?

Blocks are inserted and placed on whatever layer you have set as current. Before you insert a block, make current the layer of your choice.

I thought that too and tested it a few times on a new drawing. I change the layer to "AM_6" and then insert the block, then select it and it shows up on the "0" layer. Thats whats boggling my mind.

Right click on the block in the tool pallette. Go to properties, slide down to the General section and look at the Layer box. What does it say?

hmm..interesting..it says "0". I checked the other blocks and they say "--use current". How do I changet it so it shows as "--use current".

If I understand your situation, you have a block containing objects on layer AM_6, and you're confused because the block is not inserted on layer AM_6.

The fact is, you can put a block on any layer, regardless of what objects it contains. That's one of the strengths of blocks. If you set the current layer to 0 and you insert a block, that instance of the block will appear on layer 0. If you then set the current layer to Z7 and insert the same block, that instance will appear on layer Z7.

Another point to keep in mind is that, when you put objects inside a block on layer 0, they inherit the properties of the block's layer. If those objects are on any other layer, they don't change.

tool properties.jpg

Hopefully you can see the picture. In the "General" pull down the options are all set to "--use current". I was able to do this manually in the properties of this block. unfortunatly this only changed the settings on my local machine. The block is acctually on a network drive so that everyone uses the same blocks. How can I change it on the server side in order for everyone's block to say "--use current"?

That's correct. I think whoever maintains the tool palette that everyone points to will need to modify this in order for it to default to the layer you want it on. Otherwise everyone will have to set it at their station for where they want it to go. I use tool palettes, but only from my hard drive not from a server location. Someone more savvy in that area may come along and help out with more information, or you could dig in the help files for more information on the subject. Help files are helpful, but can be frustrating at times. Hope this helps.

hmm..interesting..it says "0". I checked the other blocks and they say "--use current". How do I changet it so it shows as "--use current".

It sounds like you want the blocks to end up on the "AM-6" layer. If so, you could set the toolpalette to put the block straight onto that layer (set it to that value, rather than "--use current." This would save you from forgetting to set "AM-6" to be current layer when you insert the block!!

dJE

Thank you Danellis, I thought of possibly doing that. But then it will only be changed on my local toolpalette. What I really want it to change the block on our server so everyone gets the change. I am just not sure what settings to change in the block in order for it to change the properties.

I guess "use current" is Mechanical-speak for ByLayer.

If the objects in the block are on a specific layer, i.e. not 0, it doesn't matter what layer the block is on. That's a corollary to what I tried to explain above. You can't force another user to put your block on a specific layer, but you can put the contents of the block on a specific layer, which gives you the same result.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help. What I think I'm going to do now is, if anyone has an issue with the block coming in on the wrong layer. I"ll just show them how to manually change the layers in the properties.

I guess "use current" is Mechanical-speak for ByLayer. No, 'ByLayer' is a selection for properties in assigning linetypes, colors, line weights to objects either as stand alone or in the creation of blocks. 'use current' means what layer you assign the block to be inserted on.

If the objects in the block are on a specific layer, i.e. not 0, it doesn't matter what layer the block is on. Actually it does matter. If you use 'quickselect' and select 'layer', '2' when block 'A' was done in layer 2, but inserted on layer 3 it will not select the block. This is what sometime causes problems when trying to purge layers where blocks were created on a certain layer but inserted on a differing layer. Which is why so many of us are adamant about creating blocks on Layer '0'; eventhough there are valid reasons for not doing so.

That's a corollary to what I tried to explain above. You can't force another user to put your block on a specific layer, You can if you are the Manager of said tool palette and/or other support files that the drafting department is pointed to. This 'forcing' is what keeps the drafting done to a specific 'standard'.

but you can put the contents of the block on a specific layer, which gives you the same result. No, again, see response #2

I wrote my replies in red to help be clear on what I was trying to say, and is in no way an attack to the response. I'm really a nice person and it isn't in my nature to be mean or rude. Anyway, if I'm wrong about this I welcome the correction because in my nearly 20 years running ACAD I am still learning and a 'newbie' to many aspects of this software. You really can teach an old dog new tricks!:D