Layer manager opens off screen...

Dave-CSMW

One of our CAD machines has been down graded from a two monitor setup to a single monitor. Now the layer manager, which was opening up on the second monitor, opens off screen. How can I reset it to open on my main monitor? TIA!

Ok, I found an answer to this one on my own. For anyone who might have the same problem, the fix is to edit the registry key for the layer manager window.

This is the registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\\AutoCAD\R16.2\ACAD-4001:409\Profiles\>\Dialogs\LayerManager

Change the "bounds" key value to something like:

100, 200, 700, 400

This worked for me.

• 3 years later...

Thank you kindly Dave-CSMW

A collegue had the same thing happening with Acad 2008LT and this helped me to find and implement the solution.

there is also another option in this case,

after opening the layer manager (you know it is open but cannot see it)

press alt + spacebar, a small menu will appear on the screen, type M for move and using the left or right cursor you can bring whatever is off screen back on.

To see this working you can also try it with a dialogue boy that does appear on your screen

Would be nice but..

either I'm doing something wrong or else your solution, feargt, doesn't work with Acad LT.

When I press alt+spacebar I don't have any small menu appearing when a dialogbox is open (viewable on screen - or not)

This solution has nothing to do with the version of autocad, it's a function of Windows. I just tried here by opening the print dialogue so I could print out this thread and alt+space produces a small menu allowing me to move the print dialogue box with the cursor. Maybe someone else knows why it is not working for you. What version of Windows are you using? I have XP professional........

Peter - providing you have an English version of Windows - press Alt+spacebar+M and then use the arrow keys to move your window.

If you have a non-English version of Windows it might be another letter-key than M - probably the first letter in the Deutch word for 'move'.

I'm using Windows XP pro 5.1 SP 2

I stand corrected. I do have it but :

1. The company is using Windows in the native language (=Dutch)

Which means that M for " M ove" becomes R for "ve R plaatsen"

2. That menu shows up in relationship of the window that is active which means that if you call it up with a non-viewable window then this menu item won't be viewable either.

3. It only helps if you have an indication where the non-viewable window is located in relationship with the screen, else you have no clue if you are moving it away or towards the screen.

Thank you feargt for the tip though, it certainly will help whenever a window is only partially on the screen. A problem that is not uncommon on multiple-screens when using some badly written software.

PS: Tiger, yes indeed, the point was that I don't have an English version of Windows XP.

Sorry about that........and I don't even use the english version either, I use the geman version and have to type V instead of M

2. That menu shows up in relationship of the window that is active which means that if you call it up with a non-viewable window then this menu item won't be viewable either.

On my sytem this is not correct, this menu always appears even if the active dialogue box is not on screen.

3. It only helps if you have an indication where the non-viewable window is located in relationship with the screen, else you have no clue if you are moving it away or towards the screen.

In fairness that is true, but at the same time the dialogue window is not likely to be too far away let or right, So if the left arrow doesn't bring anything back on screen quickly enough then just try the right.

In fairness that is true, but at the same time the dialogue window is not likely to be too far away let or right, So if the left arrow doesn't bring anything back on screen quickly enough then just try the right.

that is what I do - hold in left key > nothing happens > hold in right key.

Don't have an English version either - I use F for 'flytta' :wink:

• 2 years later...

You got the Layer Manager docked. Try clicking on the edge of it with your mouse and then check it to not be docked.

My system recently pulled that number on me and it took me a half hour to figure it out... no thanks to the guys trying to help here... LOL:glare:

You got the Layer Manager docked. Try clicking on the edge of it with your mouse and then check it to not be docked.

My system recently pulled that number on me and it took me a half hour to figure it out... no thanks to the guys trying to help here... LOL:glare:

This problem has nothing to do with a docked Layer Manager, it is associated with moving from a dual monitor setup to a single and the palette having been on the secondary monitor and not showing up on the single monitor. It wouldn't be possible to click on the Layer Manager as it is not there.

I do not see where you have posted asking how to undock a tool palette and is the most likely reason you have not recieved help.

This problem has nothing to do with a docked Layer Manager, it is associated with moving from a dual monitor setup to a single and the palette having been on the secondary monitor and not showing up on the single monitor. It wouldn't be possible to click on the Layer Manager as it is not there.

I do not see where you have posted asking how to undock a tool palette and is the most likely reason you have not recieved help.

You missed my point.

My system started doing that out of nowhere one morning and after 30 minutes I found out how to right click on the gray area of the Layer Manager bar and undock it. I was unable to move it, resize it, drag it... Nothing worked until I determined it had docked itself near the top of the screen. There was no secondary monitor - ever.

• 6 years later...

In my case, none of the above worked. But what did work is:

- disconnect the HDMI cable of the second monitor.

- now move the layers window to a more favorable position

- reconnect the HDMI cable of the second monitor.

Hope this helps...