64 Bit and 32 Bit versions of AutoCAD LT 2011

Argenta Designer

My old 32 bit computer with AutoCAD LT 2000 crashed. I have a new 64 bit Dell computer running Windows 7 that was designed to accommodate AutoCAD LT 2011 system requirements. I bought AutoCAD LT 2011 from a reseller (Amazon). I needed to get back to work so I downloaded the 64 bit trial version from Autodesk. It works very well. (steep learning curve, but it installed and functions within parameters.)

My question:

Can I use the activation code of the purchased program to activate my 64 bit download?

I do not know if the purchased AutoCAD program is 64 bit or 32 bit.

I do not want to open the package if it won't activate the 64 bit version.

I would like to have back-up 64 bit CD's (just in case)

It is still in the Amazon shrink wrap. It's a lot of $$ and I don't want to make any mistakes and end up with opened and unusable CD's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There should be a serial number included inside the package along with the CD or DVD. This is the first piece of the activation process. The second piece involves going online and getting the authorization code from AutoDesk. Once the serial number is verified the authorization code is downloaded to your computer and you're all set to go.

How would you not know what you purchased?

It's possible the CD or DVD contains both versions of the program. The serial number will work with either version.

You could always try contacting AutoDesk directly.

.... so I downloaded the 64 bit trial version from Autodesk. It works very well. (steep learning curve, but it installed and functions within parameters.)

You downloaded the trial version of what? LT? I didn't know you could download trial of LT.

But all Autodesk software initially installs in 30-day trial mode.

So if you downloaded AutoCAD LT and the software you purchased is valid - you do not need to uninstall/reinstall.

Simply start the program and click Activate and follow the on-screen instructions - or

while in the program go to Help>About AutoCAD LT>Program Information and click Change Serial Number and enter your serial number and follow on-screen instructions to activate.

(BTW - for those of you reading this who had student version and then tried to install commercial version the process is the same - no need to uninstall/reinstall - the programs are identical, only the license terms of use are different, so simply change the serial number and reactivate.)

Now if you really installed AutoCAD rather than AutoCAD LT, then of course these are different applications with different serial numbers....

Thank You ReMark and JD Mather for your information. I did download AutoCAD LT 30 day trial version. I could not find any information within the Amazon site about 32-vs-64 bits. It did not occur to me that both 32 and 64 bit versions may be included on the CD's. The subscription process appeared straightforward. I have contacted Autodesk for additional assurances/information that I have the correct product for my computer. I will post the results to assist other CADTutor users.

• 3 weeks later...

HELP! I resolved all of the above issues, but when I try to register my trial version I am asked to create a New User ID. I Truthfully fill in all of the requested Information but get the error message: "User ID, First Name, Last Name and email address must be valid". GRRRRRRRRR... They ARE valid. I checked them carefully for spelling errors. ALL info is correct. How do I get the program to accept my VALID information? Is it comparing it to previous registration Info? If so how do I look it up? I have 5 days remaining on my 30 day free trial.

Thank You in advance for any help with this problem.

No, I was excited about getting the trial version and the info is usually recorded somewhere on the system. I have been looking around and got farther with a Business Registration, but I keep ending up on the same New User ID screen that requests the same information that is still rejected. Now I can't figure out how to get back to the business registration screen. Is there someone I can call at AutoDesk to provide some assistance? Any other suggestions? Thank You for your quick response.

Contact information for AutoDesk can be found at their website.

I think the information is probably stored in the Registry. If you had problems previously and did not uninstall the product as per AutoDesk instructions chances are the information was never removed from the Registry and that might explain why you can't complete the registration.

Thanks for the lead and I will report back what I discover.

Also,

To conclude the 32 bit -vs- 64 bit question: Both 32 bit and a 64 bit DVDs are included in the AutoCAD LT 2011 software package with Serial and Product Key numbers.

The login you first used is a universal login for all of Autodesk's logins. So go to the forums, as an example,

http://forums.autodesk.com/

pick the sign in, fill in the user id if you remember, click on forgot password, etc. They will email you with information to let you sign in. Use the information for your registration.