Scaling problem.

Firligic

this is for the structural drawing, I dont want my dimensions to be all wrong before I send it in for grading

and how do I use reference option.

once I use command scale, all it ask me to do is select base point.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Firligic

• ReMark

• kencaz

• Jack_O'neill

Command: _scale

Select objects: select the object(s) you want to scale

hit enter

Specify base point: select the point you want to scale from

Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference] : r

Specify reference length : this is the length of the known object you - if you know the length type that in if not then select the first point then...

Specify second point: select the second point

Specify new length or [Points] : here you can type in the length you want it to be if you know it or select the 'third' point you want to scale to.

This works scaling up or down. It can be a bit tricky until you try it a few times, but once you get the hang of it you will love this command.

• 4 weeks later...

ok I have been trying to follow all of these threads. I am having about the same problem. I drew out the structural project for penn foster 1:1 on the model space then put on my dimensions and placed a premade titleblock on but i could not get any of the scales to change. after nothing worked I used "scale" to get the title block to the right size. then after reading what was put on here i deleted it all and started over. Will someone please help me out. I got behind redeploying back from Iraq and am kind of running short on time. I will post what i have so far if someone could take a look at it for me please. Thank you.

Structural Drafting.dwg

I took a quick look. On Layout 1 your viewport is set to 1/64"=1'. Is that because you plan on printing it out on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper? What do your instructions say about the sheet size that should be used?

One other thing I noticed. When you saved the drawing all of your viewports, in each of your three layouts, were activated (as though you were working in model space) and none of them were locked. This means you could inadvertently change the scale of a viewport without knowing it.

Question: What are the center-to-center dimensions supposed to be both horizontally and vertically on your columns?

Question: Why are your columns (W12x152), which look to all be the same, not a block? Creating a W-shape out of individual lines is not a good practice. If you are going to do it this way turn it into a block to make it more efficient and remember to create blocks on Layer 0 so that when they are inserted on a particular layer they take on all the properties of that layer like color and linetype. Didn't they cover this is one of the projects/assignments?

Edited by ReMark

sorry it took me so long to respond ReMark. Thank you for taking a look at it for me. No, the drawing is going to be printed on 11 X 17. The center to center between all of the W12 X 152 is 18'. I did not even think about making the colums into blocks I just drew them up real quick and put them on by array real quick. I do not know what I am doing wrong on this drawing so I keep starting over with it. So I have got pretty quick on putting the girders and the channels in.

Yes they did go over blocks in one of the chapters, but it was just in a written test, not in a drawing. Here is another attempt that i started over with and was actually able to get the dimentions in but they are huge and I dont get it. I really really need practice in structural. I did well in the plat drawing but this structure is beating me up lol.

Structural Drafting.dwg

As Remark said, I would use blocks for the I beams and also make sure you look the viewport (once you have it set correctly). I personally would have done the drawing in model space at 1:1 as you did, set up a viewport in paperspace at my desired scale and then added my dimensions, text, notes (including the title block obviously) in paperspace and not use annotative scaling.

I'm not sure where to begin.

I opened your drawing this morning (2/15) and find I am in a paper space layout and the viewport is "active" and the display is not locked. Neither of these conditions are good AutoCAD practices in my opinion.

Your viewport is on layer W12x152. It should be on its own layer (ex. - Vports) and set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

When I invoke the Plot command the page size is still listed as 8.5x11 and not 11x17.

You have a layer called Center-Bubble with a linetype of Center assigned. In my opinion the bubble should be drawn using a continuous linetype otherwise it doesn't look right in your layout (the circle is broken up and not continuous).

Your title block and border are in model space when they should really be in your layout and they should be on their own layer (ex. - TB&B) not on the "dimentions" layer.

What scale had you planned on assigning to your viewport? Although you have your annotation scale set for 3/32"=1'-0" there is no scale assigned to the viewport itself.

In my opinion the girders should have been drawn as a single continuous polyline and not as separate lines. Some girders are missing a line.

In my opinion the columns should be a block or at the very least a single continuous polyline.

Re: annotation scaling. Your text height is rather large. When I check "Properties" I see you have an annotative scale set of 3/32"=1'-0" but a Paper space text height of 13/64" is listed. Keeping in mind that 1/8" high text is fairly normal in these types of drawings 13/64" is really too big.

Layers named Border, Border2 and Hidden seem to have no objects on them.

There is no need for the three layers Text Large, Text Medium and Text Small. Have one layer for Text and that's it.

The layer name dimentions should be dimensions.

In Layout 2 you have a title block and border sitting way off to the right. The block name is "new block" and you have it inserted on layer "C9 x 20". This is wrong in so many ways.

Your "new block" block (title block and border on layout 2) is 10x16. I don't know if your were planning to use an ANSI B (11.00x17.00) page layout but if you were, your border would be about 1/2" too wide. AutoCAD says anything within the dashed lines you see (the "hard clip" areas) will be printed. Anything outside of those lines will be cut off. Either adjust your title block and border (make it 15" instead of 16" wide) or find another 11x17 format that gives you the extra room you need to fit it within the dashed lines. This will be dependent upon the printer you'll be using. Different printers/plotters will offer different options.

If you were to do a new page setup using a 11x17 sheet size I think you could set your viewport scale to 1/8"=1'-0" which is fairly common amongst structural and architectural firms (along with 1/4"=1'-0"). Just a suggestion.

I'm sure there is more but I only took a quick look.

Edited by ReMark

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed this one. I did use block at first either, you should. Penn foster frowns on the use of view ports ( I do not know why) they want every thing set up to plot from model space. Be very carefull with the elevations.