Scaling problem.

Firligic

heyz guys I think i messed up big time, i think. heres the problem. i had to do 7 drawings. each drawing is like a section of drawing #1. all of the dimensions came out perfectly. then #2 is the detail drawing with I first scaled to make it bigger. then I did the same thing with all the other drawings. I then noticed when I dimensioned the all the drawings the dimensions is diff. Is it because I scaled first before I use the dimension command.

example: #1 drawing one of the lines were 3". but all the other ones turned to like 1'. is it possible to fix this, or I have to redraw everything?

thxs.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Firligic

• ReMark

• kencaz

• Jack_O'neill

You should be drawing everything 1:1 regardless. If you dimension in Model Space then use annotative dimensions and scale your viewports...

KC

yea i am drawing everything in 1:1.

But you also state in your initial post that you "scaled first before you used the dimension command". That was a bad move on your part.

Are you using annotative scaling for your dimensions and text?

Are you using a Layout with viewports?

i usualy select the whole object, SCALE command, and drag it to a approiate size. then I change the drawing up a bit, thne I dimensioned it

i am checke dthe option for annotative scaling

and no viewports.

i usualy select the whole object, SCALE command, and drag it to a approiate size. then I change the drawing up a bit, thne I dimensioned it

i am checke dthe option for annotative scaling

and no viewports.

If you are scaling in model space, you are changing the actual size of the things you've drawn. In other words, if you've drawn a rectangle that is 2" x 4" and you "scale" it, then the actual object is no longer 2 x 4, it's 4 x 8 or what ever you scaled it to. Draw your objects at a 1:1 scale in model space, then switch to a layout tab, and set the scale of the view, or zoom level as some like to think of it.

Quote from helpfile:

When you work in a layout, the scale factor of a view in a layout viewport represents a ratio between the actual size of the model displayed in the viewport and the size of the layout. The ratio is determined by dividing the paper space units by the model space units. For example, for a quarter-scale drawing, the ratio would be a scale factor of one paper space unit to four model space units, or 1:4.

Scaling or stretching the layout viewport border does not change the scale of the view within the viewport.

You can enlarge or reduce as necessary without changing the actual size of the objects in the drawing.

Ah...now he sees the light. I'm pretty sure you find hundreds of posts here from forum members telling new users to draw in model space at FULL size and utilize layouts and viewports. How did you miss that information? I am surprised Penn Foster's training material does not mention it specifically. Or does it?

yea i see the light now. in my opinion penn foster material is more of "a what does this mean" and not really how to use it. I guess thats why they made these projects to force you to know how to use it, by insanely calling them for help and getting help from the light of Remark Lmao. if it was me id had go to school to The Light of Remark :)

thxs hehe

My mother used to call me sonny but that doesn't mean I was very bright. LOL

Anyway, there are far more knowledgeable people here to "show you the light". Follow their advice and you should be fine.

No need to use modelspace for scaling, learn to draw in 2D or 3D at 1:1 in Model Tab and use Layout tabs for the titleblock and scaled details, views, etc.

If you do scale for some reason in Modelspace (some places still operate this way and you may work somewhere with drawings done in this manner), the command for setting your dimensions to show correctly is _DIMLFAC, you can set this in the properties menu when you select the dimension> right-click>Properties>Primary Units>Dim Scale.

ok i know what i did wrong now( i think), but dont know how to fix this.

so i have 2 drawings #1(elevation plan) drawing is done. so then i continue using #1 drawing and used part of it to show connection details for my #2(detail plan) drawing.

this is what i did wrong. the part of the drawing from #1 I scaled it by dragging it and i have no clue what i scaled it by. now my dimension is all messed up.

for example lets say the line suppose to be 2 1/6" it turns out to be 7 3/16" :(

and thats for only 1 line of my drawing. how do I undo this wrongly scaling process that I did.

I am so stupid. i didnt tihnk ahead. I dragged the scale of the detail drawing so it can fit the previous drawing of my title block.

someone show me the light please(Remark) :)

Dimension or measure out to max number of decimal places a line that you know what the length should be.

Simple calculation to figure out the scale factor to return to 1:1

or

draw line of known length near line that should be that know length

use the scale with reference option to rescale the rest of the geometry to the reference length.

Now that your geometry is 1:1 ask your teacher to show you how to use paperspace layouts to get scaled viewports of your geometry (not scaled geometry, scaled views of it - the geometry is always 1:1 - just like the real world).

If your teacher cannot show you how to do this then find a different school or shut yourself in a room for a week with several good AutoCAD books and figure it out on your own. (basically how I figured it out)

for example lets say the line suppose to be 2 1/6" it turns out to be 7 3/16"

Think back to 4th grade (10yr old students in USA) math class on ratios. You know what it is currently, you know what it should be, set up the formula to calculate the scale factor. (That is, what number times 7 3/16 would result in 2 1/6). I'll let you chew on this a bit before checking back. You might want to convert these numbers to decimal first.

Edited by JD Mather

I'll add one more bit to what J D has stated, if you do not use the reference option, which I recommend, when asked for the scale factor, right click and select Quick Calc to do your calculations.

this is for the structural drawing, I dont want my dimensions to be all wrong before I send it in for grading

and how do I use reference option.

once I use command scale, all it ask me to do is select base point.