The white colour of my layer doesn't print.

frank87

I use autocad 2007 and i made this drawing with 5 layers; one of them is set to white and i use it for lines and dimensions.

I added a block with some white text as well.

But when i preview the drawing before printing, the white layer with the dimensions doesn't show (and when i go ahead and print it, this layer doesn't appear). But the white characters from the bloc i added gets printed correctly in black.All the other layers with different colors show OK.

I figured it was a color problem, so i set this white layer to black, and then it works. But on the DWG it's of course black , nearly invisible.

Is there a way to print it correctly without resorting to change it to black ?

They are plot style files. Color dependent = ctb. Style dependent = stb.

If you haven't heard of them before now I'm kind of doubtful you could have changed one without knowing it.

To edit a plot style table you would have to first select one (ex. - acad.ctb) then click on the Plot Style Table Editor button to the right of the drop down list. Sound familiar?

Changing a font from one style to another will not affect a plot style table.

Did you create the block?

The block itself is a logo with lines and text; it has 4 layers and one of them is white and is used for the text. I added this bloc to my drawing by copyiing and pasting from another DWG file.

When i did that, my layers manager registered a bonus corresponding to these four additional layers.

I was more concerned about the colors assigned and less concerned about the layers being able to print since you clearly state that all layers do print but just not to your liking.

Best option at the moment is to attach a copy of the block that is giving you trouble as a dwg file here so one of us can take a good look at it.

Check the block to see if your lines are set to the color '255' or 'white'. '255' is actually white and will appear white on the screen AND on your paper. 'white' on the other hand is the AutoCAD designation for the automatic switchable color that will appear black on a light screen background and white on a dark screen background, and it will always plot black.

Well, lo and behold, now it prints fine !

I didn't do anything and it prints de white layer in black alright...

When i selected the white color, i think i picked it inside the true color tab instead of the index color tab, that's the only explanation i can think of.

Strange...

Check the block to see if your lines are set to the color '255' or 'white'. '255' is actually white and will appear white on the screen AND on your paper. 'white' on the other hand is the AutoCAD designation for the automatic switchable color that will appear black on a light screen background and white on a dark screen background, and it will always plot black.

Hey, you were right !

I just tried to revert to the white in the true color tab instead of the index color tab and it doesn't print anymore !

We both found the answer nearly at the same time !

This true color tab is tricky ! Does it respond like this for others colors than white ?