+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Default Trying to Run R14 in Windows 7 ..... 32bit - Fatal Error

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I am trying to set up AC R14 in W7. Evidently this has been accomplished by changing a dll, inserting some other files, and changing permissions. Below is an outline that seems to work for people. This from an autodesk forum, but I could not find any info on this new error. I made the changes, but now I am getting a Fatal Error: Unhandled exception at .... The program opens up and I can open a drawing, but as soon as I execute a command the error comes up and it crashes.

The reason I am trying this is because I have a structural program I use all the time that is only written for R14. I do not have XP compatibilty. My system has plenty of ram and hard disk space.

"Hey all! 1st,,, let me Thank all of you whom has contributed to this thread. I don't care to upgrade, I just like 14 version. But, like all of you here, couldn't get it to work in Vista. I only signed up here ( just to give something back) to write this and to make it a lot easilier for others to get this to work, without reading 13 pages of everybody's input. I'm going to try and make this easy and painless.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    You can not fresh install to Vista 64. It must be copied from another hard drive via thumbdrive or you should be able to just copy file to a CD, than copy to Vista folder you just created. ( I have a dual boot Vista / XP which made this very easy )
    Once this is copied to your Vista machine, put the Autocad file in your Program Files (NOT x86).
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    Instruction to get AutoCad 14 version to work in Vista 64:
    All the new files you will need, I have attached below.
    Download them, save them to your desktop.( Had to put all 3 files together and .Zip. Cant upload separately)
    Browse to your Autocad, find SH31W32.DLL, it will be in the main Autocad folder, if you can't find it, just do a search.
    Copy this file and save it. After it is saved somewhere else on your machine, remove it from the Autocad folder.
    The 3 files you downloaded,,,, GDIFONT3.HDI,,,,,HEIDI3.DLL,,,,,,SH31W32.DLL need to be placed inside the main Autocad folder, (must unzip them 1st) the same place you removed the SH31W32.DLL file. That it!! Find your Autocad .EXE file (same folder, Red Icon)
    right click on it and make a shortcut icon to your desktop. Close that all out. Click on your new Autocad icon and
    Wha LA!

I take NO CREDIT for the above. I just happen to put all YOUR information together to make it easily for YOU.

Thanks again for all who help me get this to work on my computer.

Attachments: cad files new.zip 262 KB"

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Dswinty

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Unless someone has done it and/or they have r14 and Win7 just hanging around to try it I'm doubtful you'll get much help. I hope for your sake I am wrong.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge! I've gone over to the dark side.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

I thought it might be worth a try. People have done this sucessfully, but I haven't found anyone that is getting the same error.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Yes, people claim to have done this. But if they have they are in the minority and getting good factual information AND assistance is going to test your patience.

I've gone back as far as 2004 on a computer running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. A couple people here have tried it and failed. I don't know why it worked for me and not for them. You may find yourself in the same situation. Everyone's system is different. The software and hardware permutations make trying to duplicate some tasks insanely frustrating.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge! I've gone over to the dark side.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

Default I run 14 in windows 7 pro 32 bit version

I have been running 14 for 6 months now with no issues. I previously failed to get it to work in a 64 bit version and gave up. I then bought a netbook with win 7 starter 32 bit and was able to get access 97 to work which also would not work in a 64 bit version. So I guessed it had something to do with 32/64 or the simpler version of windows. I then ordered a dell with win 7 pro 32 bit and have been able to run access 7 and acad 14 with no issues. Used the factory install disk and have not done any file / dll changes. Cant remember doing anything other that telling it to run as a win 95 program and I believe I had to mess with permissions. I will provide and screen shots any doubters may want to see.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

Default It worked

Thank you dswinty!
    I have been fighting with R14 on my newer W7 32-bit machine and have been unsuccessful because of a heap error. Your solution may have been focused on Vista but it worked great for me.
    Thank you for putting in the effort and making it easy for others to implement.

Computer Details
    profcad's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Dual - Six-Core Xeon
    RAM:
    12GB
    Graphics:
    NVida 4400
    Monitor:
    DUAL 24" WIDESCREEN
    Discipline
    Education
    profcad's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Professor Of CAD
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    Revit 2014

Have you tried to run it on a Virtual Machine (XPmode) in Windows 7? This is a 32bit version of XP that runs in Windows 7 64-bit. I have several programs that I have to run this way because they will not run on a 64-bit machine.
    John Helton
    Professor of CAD
    Oklahoma City Community College
    Oklahoma City, OK

Forum Newbie
    Using
    not applicable

Laughing It worked!!

Dswinty7, it totally worked for me too just now!! My dad had an oldddddd windows xp, and so I got him a new computer. All the new computers have windows 8 (bleh) on them and I couldn't even get his AutoCadR14 CD to install on it due to windows 8 64-bit being incompatible with the AC14's 16-bit requirements.

I insisted that my dad just get with the times and get an autocad that was more modern and updated, but he insisted that he HAD to have this old version. I know absolutely nothing about Autocad so forgive me if this was a blasphemous suggestion

So...after browsing for forever, I read that some people had success using AC14 on a Windows 7 with 32-bit. I hassled and returned the windows 8, got a refurbished computer with windows 7, successfully installed AutoCad, opened it up in sheer excitement!....only to discover that dreadful heap error pop-up as soon as I moved the mouse to do anything.

After hours of digging through google search and finding dead ends, I found this thread! I was skeptical because all the other solutions I found were unsuccessful.

But it worked! The .zip file was so convenient and your easy step by step instructions saved me!

Sorry for the long, unnecessary ramble, but your thread helped me out tremendously! my dad is super happy, all is well with the universe. Thank you so much!!!

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

ReMark, I have r14 and two computers. One with w/32-bit and another w/64-bit system respectively. I was getting the Heap Error as well and I couldn't stand to pass up the opportunity to try the deletion of one file and the addition of three as contained in the zip file. I conducted the experiment on my 32-bit System where the r14 was loaded but badly misbehaving.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I opened my r14 Software and it performed with excellence!

]