Trying to Run R14 in Windows 7 ..... 32bit - Fatal Error

dswinty

Sorry, I'm not interested in anyone's Win98 theme project. Heck, that ain't even old. Now maybe if you had a 286 XT computer running version 1.2 of AutoCAD in DOS then I might be interested.

Yep, you're like a lot of people I know. If it ain't free they don't want it. And if it is free, well they want as much as their two arms can carry and then some.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• AriaMehr

• RobDraw

• dswinty

I can't thank you enough. I don't know how old this thread is, but after rummaging through the internet for hours, I finally stumbled onto this thread. needless to say I was really getting frustrated. I read all kinds of remedies from all manner of experts. Many disguised software pushers. Your solution was quick and easy and all works as it's suppose to now. I should think autodesk would prescribe this solution on they"re web site. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

I know you don't want to take credit for the procedure, but you are the one that made my problem go away. Again, I thank you for your help.

I should think autodesk would prescribe this solution on they"re web site.

Software manufacturers typically do not support old versions of their programs. If anyone wants to run a 20 year old program on a newer operating system then it's up to the individual to figure out how to do it.

• 1 month later...

It took our whole office to drag our boss kicking and screaming from DOS to Windows!

It was only when his essential programs no longer ran in DOS that he finally gave in...

He would stay on a version of ACAD until it would no longer run in a certain OS.

He has finally come around and now toys with the idea of 3D and even Solidworks...

Some old dogs don't want to learn ANY new tricks!

• 10 months later...

the " icon_attachment.png cad files new" fixed it.:shock::celebrate:

thanks

I am trying to set up AC R14 in W7. Evidently this has been accomplished by changing a dll, inserting some other files, and changing permissions. Below is an outline that seems to work for people. This from an autodesk forum, but I could not find any info on this new error. I made the changes, but now I am getting a Fatal Error: Unhandled exception at .... The program opens up and I can open a drawing, but as soon as I execute a command the error comes up and it crashes.

The reason I am trying this is because I have a structural program I use all the time that is only written for R14. I do not have XP compatibilty. My system has plenty of ram and hard disk space.

"Hey all! 1st,,, let me Thank all of you whom has contributed to this thread. I don't care to upgrade, I just like 14 version. But, like all of you here, couldn't get it to work in Vista. I only signed up here ( just to give something back) to write this and to make it a lot easilier for others to get this to work, without reading 13 pages of everybody's input. I'm going to try and make this easy and painless.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

You can not fresh install to Vista 64. It must be copied from another hard drive via thumbdrive or you should be able to just copy file to a CD, than copy to Vista folder you just created. ( I have a dual boot Vista / XP which made this very easy )

Once this is copied to your Vista machine, put the Autocad file in your Program Files (NOT x86).

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Instruction to get AutoCad 14 version to work in Vista 64:

All the new files you will need, I have attached below.

Download them, save them to your desktop.( Had to put all 3 files together and .Zip. Cant upload separately)

Browse to your Autocad, find SH31W32.DLL, it will be in the main Autocad folder, if you can't find it, just do a search.

Copy this file and save it. After it is saved somewhere else on your machine, remove it from the Autocad folder.

The 3 files you downloaded,,,, GDIFONT3.HDI,,,,,HEIDI3.DLL,,,,,,SH31W32.DLL need to be placed inside the main Autocad folder, (must unzip them 1st) the same place you removed the SH31W32.DLL file. That it!! Find your Autocad .EXE file (same folder, Red Icon)

right click on it and make a shortcut icon to your desktop. Close that all out. Click on your new Autocad icon and

Wha LA!

I take NO CREDIT for the above. I just happen to put all YOUR information together to make it easily for YOU.

Thanks again for all who help me get this to work on my computer.

Attachments: icon_attachment.png cad files new.zip 262 KB"

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Dswinty

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much. Works great.

Was runing AutoCAD R14 on WinXP SP3.

Converted to Win7 32-bit.

Fresh install of AutoCAD R14 seemed OK but program wouldn't run - got HEAP ERROR.

Copied recommended files from Autodesk forum to c:\program files\autocad r14\.

Problem solved.

• 2 years later...

After adding the Heidi3.dll and gdifont3.hdi files to the c:\windows\system32 folder (file names may be case sensitive) ,  I uninstalled all Adobe Acrobat applications. 

This removed the printer associations to AutoCAD14.  The HEAP Error is associated to printer driver issues, and all of the Adobe links was causing a memory issue for AutoCAD.

I use Tracker software PDF  Creator instead of Adobe.