couldn't change the line weight of resistors, or change their color

jackson6612

Hi

This is the drawing I was experimenting with.

1: I couldn't change the line weight of resistors, or change their color.

2: I couldn't change the color of vertical bars of the diodes.

3: Likewise, I couldn't change the line weight or color of the ground symbol.

Could you please help me with it. You could also have a look on the video.

Video:

autocadizfun.dwg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jackson6612

• nestly

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All those items are blocks. Double click on one of the resistors and edit it in the block editor. Keep in mind, even though you only picked one, editing them way that will change all of them. You will actually be editing the "block definition". If you only want to change one, you can explode it and edit it individually. If needed you can then make a new block out of the altered items.

Once you double click on one of the blocks, the "edit block definition" dialog box comes up. there's a help button on it that will give you more information.

Thanks, Jack. But I don't get it. I have tried it doesn't work for me here. Could you post a video for this, or forward me to some tutorial?

Hi ReMark

My ACAD says it's an unknown command. Isn't there a way of doing it without a command? I mean can't I do it using 'buttons'?

You want a button to push? Look for the REFEDIT command on the Refedit Toolbar. At the command line use REFEDIT. From the Modify menu select In-place Xref and Block Edit. There you go...three options. Take your pick.

I'm sorry but I cannot stop what I'm doing to produce a video for you to follow. Maybe someone else can.

The REFEDIT command is explained in your AutoCAD Help files. Think of the Help files as an encyclopedia. Search on the topic and then start reading. Each topic has a Concepts, Procedures and Reference tab with information about the command you are interested in. The procedure for using the REFEDIT command involves six steps that are outlined in clear, concise English which I am sure even you can follow. Basically you are editing, in place, a block and while doing so the remainder of the drawing is faded and inaccessible. Once you have edited the block you save the changes you made and they are then applied to every instant of that block in the drawing. So, for example, if you have 100 blocks of a ball valve and you edit one instance of the block the other 99 will be changed once you have saved back the changes. Got it?

I would not recommend assigning lineweights to blocks, because if you decide to change it later, then you have to change each block later. Leave the objects in the block as "default" and change the lineweight of the layer the block is on.

command BEDIT to edit the block or command EXPLODE to explode the block and edit it then.

I mostly don't use buttons, I prefer to type in commands. To do that you its very simple - you just type. In my opinion it goes much faster and its much simpler. Like for the command MOVE I just type M and hit Enter and the command starts. Plus think of all the space that you free up without all those toolbars covering your screen :)

If you really really need buttons, start up Help (hit F1 or type HELP ... even though I have changed it to HEPL on mine just for giggles) and search for the command and you'll find what the button looks like and where in the menus to find it.

BEDIT was my first choice too until I remembered 2005 did not have the command. That is why I suggested REFEDIT.

Do we need videos now for everything? No one wants to take the time to read.

There is no BEDIT in AutoCAD2005 :wink:

I blame the fact that it's 5pm and I am almost on my way home. Still - EXPLODE always works! :)

Thanks Nest!

I would not like to work with your drawing. It is all drawn on layer 0, and all the entity colours have been altered to suit.

There are 27 blocks, and in the picture I have moved them up. All the solid blocks of colour are solid hatch, which is tricky to pick for changing properties, but can be done.

MoveBlocks copy.jpg

Please do not ask me to watch another of your videos. The one I tried to watch was in very bad resolution, and the cursor was moving about erratically and at random, and was very distracting. Gave me a shocking migraine. Post a screen grab - at least that is static.

Refedit does work but you have to pick a block to edit. I do not know what the various shapes are called, but you could label them before you post a screen grab.

Please do not ask me to watch another of your videos. The one I tried to watch was in very bad resolution, and the cursor was moving about erratically and at random, and was very distracting. Gave me a shocking migraine. Post a screen grab - at least that is static.

First, let me thank you. As far as I can tell all of my posted videos are in HD. Are you sure the one you watched was one of mine? Highly unlikely!

Best wishes

Jackson

Double click on one of the resistors and edit it in the block editor.

double click probably brought up the properties. I think you have to change the double click assignment in the CUI.

double click probably brought up the properties. I think you have to change the double click assignment in the CUI.

Double-clicking on a block in AutoCAD2005 invokes REFEDIT. There is no "CUI" in ACAD2005

try .refedit although if REFEDIT is not recognized, maybe someone higher up disabled it? I dont know why else it wouldnt work. I can tell that by exploding the resistor block, it is drawn on the layer 0 with white color applied to the linework (very bad practice IMHO)

REFEDIT will work in 2005 just as it did in 2004. The OP was initially referring to BEDIT not REFEDIT when he said all he got was an "unknown command" message. We're making quite the rut around the mulberry bush at this point.

REFEDIT will work in 2005 just as it did in 2004. The OP was initially referring to BEDIT not REFEDIT when he said all he got was an "unknown command" message. We're making quite the rut around the mulberry bush at this point.

well that clarifies it.