Error - Unhandled Exception C00000FD

rwhitt0724

error.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what this error message is? We are getting this message when we try to open a file from the client. We have had this person resend the file back to us multiple times, thinking something may have gone wrong on the way over or something, but the error keeps popping up. It seems to be only happening on one computer however (and of course it's the computer of the guy we want working on it). The person who created this file is using AutoCAD 2002 I believe (2002?!?! I KNOW!!) and we are trying to open it with AutoCAD 2006. Is there something deeply wrong with this file or is this a common error and if so, is there a way to fix it?

Input is appreciated. Thanks.

2006!! OMG!!

Shot in the dark, but the .dbx file may be fragmenting your registry.. which is why only the one comp has the problem. Do you have any regisrty scanning software? If not i think there are some freeware progs out there. wouldnt hurt to do a scan

You most likely have a bad block definition in the drawing.

Try saving to an earlier version like 2000 or R14 and opening it. Try inserting into a new drawing as a block.

Was this drawing created in ADT? You may not have the object enablers on the computer that is having the problem.

Always make sure you have all available updates, bug fixes and service packs for all versions of Autodesk products you use.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9240618

Edited by SLW210

Thanks everyone for your input. I honestly personally don't know exactly what is going on with the file. I'm getting me info through our guy, whos getting it through another guy, who got it from someone down the street. All I really know is that when he opens the file this error comes up.

I have requested for our client to try the PURGE and AUDIT solution to narrow it down a little bit. We'll start there and if nothing changes from that, I'm assuming that we need to find a hotfix from AutoDesk or something else. Perhaps the registry cleaner will be next. I will get back to everyone and let you know what happens after the PURGE & AUDIT. Probably tomorrow. Thanks again.

I would proceed with caution when it comes to Registry Cleaners. I suggest you backup the Registry and also create a Restore Point as an added safety guard prior to loading registry cleaning software and using it. Some of these program, if not watch carefully, can be a little bit too aggressive and cause more problems than they solve.

AecArchDACHBase47.dbx??? We use the German version of AutoCAD Civil 3D and we get supplied from Autodesk a Country Kit which is called DACH. It is an acronym for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, their international letters D, A and CH. I don't know if that's relevant here.

I've had similar problems before and have dealt with them in several ways. I always first tried getting a copy of the drawing as a DXF file and tried to open that. If that failed I tried opening the DWG and DXF in third party software that could open that version of an AutoCAD file.

When I had the file open I'd save as and always tried a different AutoCAD version. That mostly worked. If I managed to get the file open in AutoCAD the best bet was to thaw, show and unlock all the layers and then WBLOCK the entities into a new drawing, but select all of the entities on screen.

If you are still getting stuck post the drawing or email it to me and I'll see what I can do.

Check the similar threads at the bottom of this page.

I think Tyke is on to something with that file having something to do with the German version. Like I said, I think you are in need of an object enabler.

Well we've seemed to solve the problem. The client took his 2002 drawing and opened and saved it with an AutoCAD 2011 seat he has. Apparently he has 2011 but has not made the switch to the new software yet. I opened it here on my 2011 and downsaved it to 2006 for the other guy in our office and boom, problem solved. So, in short, I guess the problem kind of took care of itself (we did also go with the PURGE & AUDIT approach; he said he had done that on previously sent files as well; not sure how saving in 2011 fixed everything...)

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

Glad to hear you have solved your problem for the time being. Too bad you have yet to pinpoint the source of the problem so you may well have to repeat this procedure in the future. These kinds of problems will always crop up when client and consultant are not in sync with each other when it comes to the software version being used. There's no way to avoid it unless someone forces the issue. On big contracts this might be easy; on small contracts...less so.

Thanks for updating us.

Check the similar threads at the bottom of this page.

I think Tyke is on to something with that file having something to do with the German version. Like I said, I think you are in need of an object enabler.

Like I said, this probably had something to do with needing object enablers, just look at the file name "AecArchDACHBase47.dbx" at some point this drawing was in an ADT or Civil etc. etc. and the 2006 version of AutoCAD you were trying to use to open it did not have appropriate updates.

Beware also when asking clients what a drawing was created with or what they were using, they often will get files they have no clue what created them, then you have the people that believe any drawing done on a computer was done on "AutoCAD" and if it was done last year it was done on AutoCAD 2010, when in fact it was done in ProE, Civil, Inventor or ADT etc. etc. 4 years ago.

Autodesk offers free downloadable enablers that you can use to access, display, and manipulate object data in applications different from their native environment. This provides essential data accessibility for design teams who create or receive files using Autodesk software.