new install AutoCad 2011 - student version - CRASHING LIKE MAD!

knosaj

Hi all,

Im having some troubles with the new version I just installed.

there are several issues.

like a 5-10 second lag while doing the paste part of the copy/paste command. this sometime results in a crash.

i am getting some sort of error when it starts up saying something like my video card is no good, defaulting to....

this next one is probable VC related as, when i window select and area or copy paste, i get a "tracer" effect from my cursor. also the window selection somehow visually shows the area of the window in some pixelation looking stuff.

it also just occasionally randomly crashes.

please help. lost a job during an interview because my drafting skills were rusty. guess being out of work for so long will do that. need to get back into the swing of things.

computer: fairly new sony, vpccw21fx.

i have installed a patch from Autocad after a crash when it prompted me to.

thanks in advance everyone!

Are you sure your computer meets the minimum recommended specifications as called for by AutoDesk?

Did you download and install Update 1 for AutoCAD 2011?

Did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit version of AutoCAD?

Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

What OS are you using? Ex. - Windows 7 Home Edition.

One of the requirements for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of AutoCAD 2011 is Direct3D capable workstation class graphics card. Your laptop relies upon a graphics chip, the nVidia Geforce 310M.

i know i have a 64b, with windows 7. I assume its the home version. and i downloaded the 64b version of CAD.

ReMark,

Is there another CAD version i can use to jive with my "never buy sony again" graphics card? -My computer skills are weak.

I wouldn't necessarily blame Sony, or your graphics card just yet. There are dozens of threads here, and at every other AutoCAD forum about people having troubles even on high-end systems that were specifically built to run AutoCAD. My observation is that it doesn't take much to make Win7 angry at AutoCAD, and vice versa.

The exact error messages would probably be helpful, and if you haven't done so already, try toggling Hardware Acceleration to the other setting. (3DCONFIG at the command line, then "Manual Tune"

I guess I'm in the minority. Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and AutoCAD 2011 w/Update 1 = no problems.

Personally, I think your graphics chip is anemic. I'm not blaming you and no offense is intended. Had you planned on running AutoCAD 2011 when you bought this laptop initially?

here is one error i am getting as the software starts up.

"The configured Heidi driver cannot be loaded. Switching to defualt software driver."

well, i was going to try and give more errors, but it crashed. -LOL

NM, I think i figured it out.....my idiot boss from a previous job had cronic issues with files. i used one of these file as a base to start drafting another residence.

-i started a fresh file.....guess im the idiot for failing to learn from previous mistakes. -sorry for the false alarm.