Revit 2011 MEP is the biggest disaster in the history of mankind! [rant]

maclukas

It's bigger cataclysm than AIDS and all WW together. It's a pestilence and plague in the world of CAD software. It should never be released! It's an example of how the CAD program should never look like. Revit Electrical has completely incomprehensible and illogical interface!

You cannot draw 'Wires' in 3D. You cannot quantify 'Wires'.

You cannot break, trim or stretch 'Wires'. Every 'wire' has to consist of at least two wires!

You cannot draw perpendicular 'wires' only 'chamfered'.

You cannot generate electrical groups automatically because Revit draw mismatch of different styles with disgraceful result. It's ridiculos!

So actually what you get is nothing for money and AutoDesk get money for nothing. To buy Revit MEP is wasting your time and money!

The only way to design electrical installations is to work in AutoCAD and

then import it into Revit Architecture. But even import in Revit can be problematic. If you explode an imported drawing then all imported lines became 'model' lines and if you want convert them to 'detail' lines you have to select them but you can select model lines one at a time.

Can you imagine how many hours you need to select for example 5000 entities which is quite normal.

We've tested some CAD programs and compared them. The best is MagiCAD Electrical 2011 and is 3 times faster than AutoCAD MEP 2011 and 20 times faster than Revit MEP 2011. MagiCAD has been developed of 4(!) russian programmers in Finland. At the same time AutoDESK (3000 employed programmers) developed Revit. You see the difference.

So guys from AutoDesk it's time to begin to treat us electrical engineers seriously.

And the code should be rewritten from the beginning to the end.

Don't mince words man, tell us what you really think!

I gather you don't like it. I suggest not using it in that case and maybe a good shot or two of scotch to help you relax. Not worth having a stroke over.

lol.... good words Jack. Revit does require some "getting used to" but I still stand by my own statement.

It does indeed. I've been playing with Revit Architecture on and off for the last couple of months between jobs, and it's.....a brave new world. I keep trying to do things the way I do in Architectural Desktop, and it just don't work for some reason!:o Two or three attempts and I'll realize "dummy, it don't work like that".

I do like the concept behind it, and I think it has real potential, just remains to be seen if I can pound it into my head.

i love the way it lays out column lines and elevations and all that. Doing a floorplan with it is a breeze. I didn't think I was ever going to figure out how to put a dormer on a house though. Finally got it to work, but I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong, and as best as I can tell, I didn't do anything different when it finally worked. Must have, but I'm hanged if I know what.

I want discuss Revit MEP and nothing more! My opinion is based on facts and truth. If you don't believe me, so please download 30 days evaluation copy of MagiCAD Electrical or student version of AutoCAD MEP and compare it to Revit MEP! Good luck!

No thanks, I'll take your word for it. If it makes you that mad then I better not try it. I don't want to hurt anyone. Yeah, good luck to you too. Hope you find something you can live with and that will calm you down too.

Revit reminds me more about the first version of the Paintbrush than CAD program. Too much highlighting lines, help lines, everywhere error message, restart or undo. No command line. So why don't use a working program like an application MagiCAD Electrical for AutoCAD, AutoCAD MEP but even better MagiCAD Electrical for Revit. The last one we were not able to test.

Maybe Revit Architecture 2011 seems to be good for architects and developers of Solid objects but honestly Revit MEP 2011 still don't exists.

Revit reminds me more about the first version of the Paintbrush than CAD program. Too much highlighting lines, help lines, everywhere error message, restart or undo. No command line. So why don't use a working program like an application MagiCAD Electrical for AutoCAD, AutoCAD MEP but even better MagiCAD Electrical for Revit. The last one we were not able to test.

So don't use it. Nobody here really cares if you don't like it. Use something you do like.

That's what I do, if you really read my original post. But the question is why pay thousand $ for nothing many licenses(Revit MEP 2011)? If the only way to design electrical installations is to work in AutoCAD MEP or MagiCAD and then import it into Revit MEP 2011.

For whom is created Revit MEP 2011 for former users of Paintbrush or serious electrical engineers???

• 1 month later...

Well I'm not much into Revit MEP 2011 yet as I use Revit Structure, but the first thing I thought seeing your post was: "selecting multiple modelling lines is impossible" - that's impossible. You just don't know how. It is much simpler to shout and rant and blame someone else rather than to get down and learn the blasted thing by trial and error and sweat and tears. No, it's not easy. But yes in the long there is nothing like Revit out there. Here is the tip, go to a 3D view, select the lines in question, go back to plan view - select previous if you have lost your selection - and convert lines. 5000 lines 15 seconds.

I tried to learn Revit for a while although couldn't get used to it - there are others in the office who can us it though and do what is required so I'll let them do it an stick with AutoCad and other design packages.