maintain orientation of object when extruded along helix

60ftjunkie

Hi all.

New here, just learning a bit about AutoCad and have a question which I hope has a relatively simple answer.

I found a LISP routine to draw a helix possibly from around 2002, named and referred to simply as helix.lsp. It does a satisfactory job enabling me to specify a top and base radius, height, number of turns and number of segments per turn.

If I center a circle on one endpoint of the helix and extrude it using the helix as a path, all is well, basically makes what may to some look like a coil spring.

Issue is when I do the exact same with a square or hex, etc. Result is that the object is not only extruded along the path, but is also "spun" as it is extruded. I feel that the same is true with the circle, however it's simply not detectable since it is a circle.

What oversight on my part has been made and/or what may be necessary to counteract this?

AutoCad 2005 under WinXP MCE

BTW, I am in early stages of learning this stuff, so you guys don't flame me out too badly.:unsure:

Thanks,

Dave

Hello DAve!

With AutoCAD 2005 you are limited. In newer versions modern commands were added to solve this problem and these days people will use Loft instead of Extrude.

In the old days I wrote Lisp routines (are posted in this forum), but using them alot I ended up with huge file sizes.

Maybe a walk-around for you could be to use surfaces instead of solids.

***** editing *****

I searched for these old threads:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?78-Get-your-Helix-here!

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?221-TWISTING-3D-OBJECTS-WITH-AUTOCADR14

Edited by fuccaro
adding links

Thanks fuccaro! helsurf suffices fine for my simple purposes.:D

Thanks for the tip JD, unfortunately I'm not currently a student.:(

I appreciate the help fellas, I'm sure I'll be back!

Dave