Not getting along with new software vs the old

Currahee

Has anyone went back to previous program just because they couldn't stand the current?

I have since ditched my Architecture 2010 in favor of ADT 2006 because 2010 and I just didnt get along. It was too slow, too cumbersome (even after I done extensive toolbar reprogramming) Now I have found an old friend that I have been missing for years.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Only architecture vertical product I've used is ADT2007, it's really nice. Still use it from time to time though the bulk of my customers right now use plain old Autocad. I use AutoCAD 2010 those, and any mechanical work that I get. I really like it. I see all this stuff the Inventor guys post and I do find myself longing for the old Mechanical Desktop days. I really liked using it. The last version was MDT5. Still got it around here somewhere if I can find the old disks. May have to drag it out and play with it.

I hate the ribbon also. I used 2009 for about 2 weeks and then went back to 2008. Then when 2010 was released, I didn't install it for about 4 months. So I probably used 2008 for close to 2-1/2 years before finally giving in and moving on to the newer version. I'm using 2011 now, (with the ribbon closed), but I still don't really like it. I prefer the older versions.

... I do find myself longing for the old Mechanical Desktop days. I really liked using it. ....

What a disaster that program was. RIP.

I've skipped versions such as r12, r13, 2000i, 2002 and 2008 and I've waited as long as 6 months to load at least one version (2009) but I have never gone backwards. Forward...always forward... even if the pace is somewhat slow compared to others. Have you taken down your 2010 calendar and replaced that with a 2006 calendar too? Have you ever bought a car older than the one were were previously driving? Did you trade in your wife for an older model as well?:lol:

I've skipped versions such as r12, r13, 2000i, 2002 and 2008 and I've waited as long as 6 months to load at least one version (2009) but I have never gone backwards. Forward...always forward... even if the pace is somewhat slow compared to others. Have you taken down your 2010 calendar and replaced that with a 2006 calendar too? Have you ever bought a car older than the one were were previously driving? Did you trade in your wife for an older model as well?
I am guilty of doing the same thing in the past. Since I upgraded from AutoCAD MEP 2009 to 2010 (which took forever for me to do), I realized the benefit in doing so. I forced myself to go ahead and install and use AutoCAD MEP 2011 as soon as I got it in and have some downtime. I now stand true in admitting that the best thing for me to do, is the go ahead with each new version. Now I still will admit going from ABS 2007 to AutoCAD MEP 2008 was the greatest leap. It was extremely stable, and came with a more polished interface. I'm still getting used to MEP 2011 but I do see it's perks above the previous versions.

I agree Tanner, 2008 to me is the standard of AutoCAD stability and productivity. I do like the added features of the newer versions, just not the ribbon.

I hate the ribbon and miss the Dashboard :(

I didn't care for the ribbon either, so I switched the view to "autocad classic". Don't miss the dashboard, never used it much.

What a disaster that program was. RIP.

I liked it. We were doing tool and die design in autocad in 3d. after MDT came along, we never looked back. The owner of the company asked one day if I thought it was worth the money and if it had made life easier. My reply was "oh h&** yeah. there's as much difference in autocad and mdt as there is a wrestling match and a waltz.

Did you trade in your wife for an older model as well?:lol:

Mine just turned 50. Never thought about an older version. Did tell her that I was considering swapping her for two 25 year olds.

Mine just turned 50. Never thought about an older version. Did tell her that I was considering swapping her for two 25 year olds.
This reminds me of a quote an owner of an excavation company (whom I have great respect for) said to me once who loves his wife: "I wouldn't take $250' date='000 for her and wouldn't give $0.50 for any other."[/i']

I didn't care for the ribbon either' date=' so I switched the view to "autocad classic". Don't miss the dashboard, never used it much.[/quote']

I loved it, I had 2 rows of tool bars at the top of the screen and the dashboard. I had so much space to draw in.

I loved it, I had 2 rows of tool bars at the top of the screen and the dashboard. I had so much space to draw in.

That's one advantage to dual monitors. When I need the extra space on screen, I drag the tool palettes, command line and tools bars onto the second monitor.

One of the stores had 27" monitors on sale the other day...sure was tempting to replace the 21's with them.

I run dual 22" widescreens. Left side is all drawing area, right side is all Palettes. It can be intimidating to people who aren't computer or CAD savvy. 8)

::EDIT::

I do have a 2nd workspace for when I'm designing in 3D. The AutoCAD interface is not maximized but still spans across both monitors (a nice function of UltraMon). I then have two VPORTS split right down the middle... left side for plan view, right side for 3D orbited view of my liking. I have a select few Palettes but the main one that stays active is the Tool Palettes on the left side of the right monitor. It's my sweet spot for when I'm designing fully in 3D using MEP's features.

....I thought it was worth the money and if it had made life easier.... ... there's as much difference in autocad and mdt as there is a wrestling match and a waltz.

Well yes if you compare to AutoCAD. I used to tell my class' date=' "We'll look at this Inventor stuff, but my favored program is MDT." Then around v7 of Inventor we stopped fooling with MDT and never looked back. There's as much difference in MDT and Inventor as there is a "[i']pro[/i]" wrestling match and a waltz.

Well yes if you compare to AutoCAD. I used to tell my class, "We'll look at this Inventor stuff, but my favored program is MDT." Then around v7 of Inventor we stopped fooling with MDT and never looked back. There's as much difference in MDT and Inventor as there is a "pro" wrestling match and a waltz.

I have not had the good fortune to play with Inventor much beyond v3 i think it was. I liked what it did model wise, but it was seriously lacking when it came to getting stuff on paper.

I'm sure that has been solved, and I look at the pricing and the stuff you post from time to time, then look at my credit card, and then the pricing again....It is really really tempting. Just can't justify it at the moment though.