Convert drawing coordinates

joshhill31

Hi all.

Apologies- this is probably very basic and may have been answered before, but I'm not sure what to search for with this.

I work as a site engineer and have been given a dwg drawing for a road package as part of the scheme I am currently working on. Unfortunatly the author of the drawing has not used the same coordinate system as the rest of the scheme, and to convert the amount of cordinates one by one that I need to do my work would take many hours.

I understand that there is a way of scaling or adapting the cordinates on the new drawing if I have two fixed reference points- is this correct? How would I go about doing this and what is this process called?

I dont have much experience with CAd, just completing basic drawings and pulling cordinates for my work so your help is much appreciated. I'm using AutoCad LT 2010

Thanks

Are you saying the drawing was done at a different scale? If so, you can Scale by Reference if you know the exact distance between two fixed points.

If its not as ReMark says, is it, for example, that the coordinate system origins are different. If so you can use the command "ALIGN" with two refernce points and decide if you want to scale the moved entities or not. Try it on a copy of your drawing not on the original and try reading the help files on the ALIGN command.

I've dealt with this situation before, and it's not pretty. Once you have a solution, though, it will save you a lot of time.

AutoCAD uses coordinate systems. It has to have a World coordinate system so that it can operate in an unambiguous framework. However, you can overlay that coordinate system with another one, and AutoCAD will automatically translate from one system to another. To define a new coordinate system, you need an origin, an X direction, and a Y direction.

Here is the not-pretty part. Find the origin for the coordinates used in the drawing. Find the angle for the X axis in that coordinate system as it would appear in the World coordinate system. The Y axis should be perpendicular to that X axis. Draw lines from the new origin along both new axes. Use the command UCS, enter the option 3, and (following the prompts) select the origin point, a point on the X axis, and a point on the Y axis. Verify that the points in the drawing match their new coordinates. Use UCS again and Save the current coordinate system with an appropriate name. You can now switch between the World and the new coordinates as needed.