Sections

MisterJingles

Hi guys

Please bear with me on this question. Im having a heated discussion here in my office about sections through a building.

Ok, if I were to draw a cut section through a room, would I need to draw only what that cut line comes into contact with or would I need to show the window on the wall behind it too for example?

Sorry for such a simple question but I need to settle this.

Regards

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• eldon

• Tiger

• MisterJingles

If the cut-line go through the house then yes, I would say that you need to draw the window as well. If the cut-line is just drawn say across the wall then yes, you just see the wall.

Show what is behind a cut line or in front of a cut line? Everything in the direction of the cut line arrows should be shown whether the cut line passes through it or in front of it.

Thanks Tiger.

Just to be clear, see the image below, if there were a window on the yellow wall it would need to be reflected in that section drawing?

Section.jpg

Thanks Tiger.

Just to be clear, see the image below, if there were a window on the yellow wall it would need to be reflected in that section drawing?

Yes. ...............

I have always understood that a section should only show what the section line cuts. The window would show on an internal elevation.

However, a sectional elevation would show both :D

Then you would treat a sectional line cut through an object, like a piston rod, differently than you would one cut completely through a house?

Then you would treat a sectional line cut through an object, like a piston rod, differently than you would one cut completely through a house?

I am afraid that I have never drawn a piston rod, and as the OP mentioned a section line through a building, I was angling my response to be of use to him.

I would perhaps only draw a representation of the window without all the trimmings and what-nots IF that is not what is important in the section. But I would get a slap from my old teachers if I removed it completely.

The only way I would not show the window in this case is if my section line passed only through one wall or in the case of two walls (say one interior and one exterior) if I had two separate section symbols.

At the end of the day, it depends on what gives the required information, without being too concerned of the precise wordage of that part of the drawing.

But we aren't talking "wordage" here. We're talking practical application.

It probably depends on the general practice of a particular architectural company, so everyone is right, and everyone is wrong. I am afraid there is no definite answer, unless you would like to write a Wiki on it.

It also depends on ones laziness with words. Perhaps when someone says "section", they really mean "sectional elevation", but extra words that define the difference may not be uttered.

Perhaps you could agree, that if you were to show a window that was not cut by the section line, then you would show it as an internal elevation view :unsure:

I've spent some time working for a few building firms. Most times standard practice would be to show background items in a light line cursory representation for sections that cut entirely through objects, as in whole buildings or whole rooms. This helps the viewer orient to what they are being shown.

On the other hand, a detail section of a particular wall type would not show any background info at all. other than where the ceiling and floor intersect with the wall.

When there are complicated or artistic finish materials used on walls and doors, interior wall elevations will take care of presenting the information, complete with dimensions and finish schedule call-outs.

If I were doing a whole house sectional view for a presentation I would show only the walls that I had cut through. All other "detail" would be left out.