Is there a way to add contour lines?

McWaters12

I have a site that is 2D. The map already has contour lines drawn in 2' increments. I need to add contour lines between the existing ones so I get lines in 1' increments. Is there an easy way to do this? My professor told me to off set each one, but I don't know how well that would work - thanks for any help!

The short answer is no there is no easy way in 2D. If you had a DTM it would be dead easy, but you don't. If you had access to AutoCAD

Civil 3D you could open your drawing in C3D, elevate the contour polylines to their correct height and insert them into a DTM. Then you just need to modify the style and you would be able to easily get your on foot contours in no time at all.

To get a good approximation from a 2D drawing, so long as the distance between the contours is relatively constant, you could offset them half the distance between adjacent contours. But if the distance varies, to get an approximation you need to determine a point half way between two adjacent contours. It depends on how many contours you have to determine how long it will take and it could turn out you would need a very long time. And as I said it is only an approximation.

Good luck.

Perhaps the lisp from Jeffery P Sanders web site, called Rolling Ball. It looks as if it should do what you want. :D

Thanks! This really looks like what I need to use. Thanks for pointing me to this website. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the .lsp file correctly - there seem to be a lot of commands and I need to find the right one. Thanks for your help!