Laptop recommendation for AutoCad 2011 for architecture!

emiljan

Hey guys,

My cousin is going to school to study architecture, and she asked me to recommend her a laptop that can run AutoCad 2011 well.

I found a few laptops with Intel i7 chips and good amount of memory, but I'm worried about the video card.

Most ive seen in her price range have either a ATI 5650m or 5730m or nVidia 330m. I know that autocad runs better on a workstation card like the nVidia QuadroFX but she can't afford anything that has a workstation card, so I'm looking to find her a relatively powerful laptop that can run AutoCad 2011 and SolidWorks 3D fairly well.

Anyone good any good recommendations for a solid autocad laptop?

I would appreciate any help you can provide!

thank you,

emiljan

There have been many threads on this very topic.

Check here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?51978-Looking-for-a-laptop-to-support-Architecture-2011

or here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?28095-Any-advice-before-buying-a-laptop-to-run-AutoCAD-Architecture

Also check on Autodesk's website for minimum requirements for the software you plan to run. If you cut corners and try to do this on the cheap, you will not be happy with what you get.

Here is thelaptop I am currently running on:

HP Pavilion DV6-3052NR NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

It runs AutoCAD 2010 and Inventor Pro 2011 fairly well with no degradation even when rotating pretty complex assemblies. It's not bad for under $1K. It's not going to beat my Desktop but I would hope it wouldn't since it does have a quadro card in it...

Happy Hunting!

KC

Most schools that teach architecture have laptops that can be purchased through the college/university bookstore that not only meet the requirements to run the software but are also discounted. This is the case at the School of Environmental Science and Forestry at SUNY for their Landscape Architecture students.

What school would this be?

Most reputable colleges that REQUIRE a laptop for a given course of study (i.e. - architecture, engineering, landscape design, etc.) will either post a minimum requirements list for students purchasing laptops on their own or offer discounted laptops (like Dell Latitude) for the student to purchase.

You can visit the SUNY-ESF website and look up landscape architecture and see what their recommended system specs are and then purchase something similar. It is a 5-year very intensive course and the laptop specs are different than those for the general student population. I know because I purchased one this past July. These laptops are purposely configured to run AutoDesk software.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a serious look at the IBM (Lenovo) laptops. I've used them for years, work great.

Smaller screen = Longer battery life. 8)

Edited by Tankman

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6500/pd

My company got me a Dell Precision M6500 with a Core i5-540, 8GB of RAM, and a QuadroFX 2600M. I use and abuse AutoCAD in 3D on large scale mechanical projects so this laptop might be a bit overkill for "learning CAD" during college courses. But, who knows, might want a stout computer out of preference. I know that this laptop performs extremely well for me.

I would say honestly, you can budget an $800-$900 laptop that has a Core i5, 8GB of RAM, 64bit OS, and a mid-range gaming card and you'll be perfectly fine.

The Thinkpad Wseries are pretty awesome, and all their models (not just the W-series) are severely discounted right now.... I'm currently breaking in a killer W701 dual screen mobile workstation that I got for $1800 under list.