How to draw pipes... just pipes..

abc_123

hi all,

i am new to this forum.. and found the posts are really helpful.. basically i am a mech design fellow designing mech parts like coupling, brackets etc.. recently i am tasked to draw pipes.. just pipes with 2 or 3 bends at different angles / axis..

so ur assistance needed is in ..

(a) how to draw pipes with bend angles in 2d and dimension them..

(b) if possible, pl give some sample dwg files..

thanks in adv..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abc_123

• ReMark

• kramerO

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2D? I'm assuming you'll be drawing a double line representation (showing the true O.D. of the pipe). Go find yourself some pipe fitting symbols to use. This will make the job of inserting things like elbows, tees, flanges, reducers, etc. much easier.

Specific what? Symbols?

Are you drawing in imperial or metric units?

3D? You'll need to develop or buy some 3D fittings and learn how to work in different planes by manipulating your UCS.

hi all,

i am new to this forum.. and found the posts are really helpful.. basically i am a mech design fellow designing mech parts like coupling, brackets etc.. recently i am tasked to draw pipes.. just pipes with 2 or 3 bends at different angles / axis..

so ur assistance needed is in ..

(a) how to draw pipes with bend angles in 2d and dimension them..

(b) if possible, pl give some sample dwg files..

thanks in adv..

abc_123,

Welcome.

I have many years experience in piping design and might be able to help you with your 2D (only) piping questions.

Start with http://www.spaug.org/LISP_Index01.Html for Russ Steffy's Pipe.LSP

There is one change you need to make to to Pipe.LSP.

Change Line:

"WN_2x150""SO_2.5x150""WN_2.5x150""SO_3x150""WN_3x150"

To:

"SO_2x150""WN_2x150""SO_2.5x150""WN_2.5x150""SO_3x150""WN_3x150"

kramerO

Edited by kramerO

Wouldn't it be helpful if we knew what units the OP will be using and what specs he/she will be following?

PIPE.LSP has option for Drawing Units (millimeters or inches).

HI ALL,

thanks 4 ur suggestions..i will soon (in 2 days) come up with a jpeg of the pipe which i would be drawing.. so that everyone can have a first hand knowledge..

@kramerO : i already have pipe.LISP from Spaug.org.. but it was not working for me..

@ReMark : i work in metric system.. actually the pipe is abt 600 mm long and belongs to fuel booster pump in a transport aircraft..it has op temp of abt 200+ deg cel..and has a steel mesh with adapter in the centre (i.e. welded) and at the ends has hex nut and a nipple... finally it is bent in all 3 axis..

thats why, i am thinking of posting a jpeg..which will help..

hi all,

due to site unavilability i could not post the photos... here r the pipes i would like to draw in 2d... pl suggest ways for drawing.. thiPhoto0917.jpg

Photo0916.jpg

Photo0915.jpg

Photo0918.jpg

I highly doubt a programmer went to the depths of creating a LISP Routine of a catalog of copper pipes, fittings, elbows, steel braided hose, and all in between if you're seeking a high level of accuracy. Things of that detail, you'll have to make your own inventory of blocks of all your fittings and elbows (from any dimensional spec chart of the manufacturers of your company's liking) and just grab them when you need.

I would look into creating a hierarchy of Tool Palettes to better access these cataloged blocks IMHO. Or you could contact a programmer to create a customized program to fit your company's needs.

actually i am ease at creating steel nut, nipple, steel braided hose and all fittings in between.. but my quality staff is asking me to represent the bends (like angles wrt x, y and z axis).. initially we were making 2 staright lines to represent pipe line.. with a quotation of "bend as per original sample:".. but since quality staff requires more, we dont know how to represent them.. i want only ideas or some sample pipe drawings.. not LISPs.. thanks...

It appears as though a majority of the pipe could be detailed using a single plan view. The small remaining portion could perhaps be detailed using a plan view and at least one side view.

Do you have any dimensions or angles to work with that you could post here?

One other option is to construct it in 3D then use one of three methods to extract the 2D views from the 3D object.

abc_123,

Your pics are of tube NOT pipe.

If I had to draw this for a fitter to make, I would do it single line isometric. That is the easiest way to show and dimension the rolling offsets.

Pipe.lsp is for pipe. Did you follow the procedure for loading the lisp?

@ReMark : its abt 410 mm lengeth and has variying angles on all 3 axis.. abt 15 to 20 deg..

@kramerO : that pipe.lsp i just loaded for trial purpose.. not for this.. but do i have to put all the contents in the resp. folder ?..i think ur method of rep single line seems ok for me..

@ReMark : any comments on single line isometric ?

abc_123,

Your pics are of tube NOT pipe.

Strictly speaking and depending on the country you are from it CAN be called either and be correct. Following is a small portion from Wikipedia, you can read the rest if you like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_(material)

A pipe is a tubular section or hollow cylinder, usually but not necessarily of circular cross-section, used mainly to convey substances which can flow — liquids and gases (fluids), slurries, powders, masses of small solids. It can also be used for structural applications; hollow pipe is far stronger per unit weight than solid members.

In common usage the words pipe and tube are usually interchangeable, but in industry and engineering, the terms are uniquely defined.

You could try Loft or Sweep or Revolve or a combination, to create a 3D model, but first you need to practice drawing a path in 3D space. If you know the dimensions and angles, you could use coordinates @ the command line, just remember you will have "z" values. Learn to change your 3D Views and Rotate or use 3D Rotate. The same applies for single line isometric drawings, you just need to practice and get familiar with the commands. There are as many more methods to do this as well. To learn a command use AutoCAD help or search and browse CADTutor.